• Follow me on:

Pinpoint Weather meteorologist Chris Tomer forecasts for Colorado’s Own Channel 2 and FOX31 Denver. You can watch him weekday mornings on Channel 2’s Daybreak from 5 a.m. – 9 a.m. and occasionally at 10 a.m. on FOX31’s Everyday show.

Tomer earned a B.S. in Meteorology from Valparaiso University graduating with Honors – where he also played basketball. Tomer is a fully certified meteorologist having earned the CBM and NWA Seal’s of Approval. Tomer also serves on the NWA panel of Television Seal evaluators. Chris has specialized knowledge of Mountain Meteorology.

When not working, Tomer climbs mountains, runs trails, and snow skis. Chris completed climbing all 58 of Colorado’s 14ers in 2009 including the four major 14er Traverses. Many of Chris’s adventures are showcased on Channel 2 under the name of “Tomer’s Trails”. Tomer won an Emmy Award for his 2015 Tomer’s Trails stories.

Tomer is a bestselling author. In 2011, he co-authored Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado Fourteener High Bivys. Sleeping on the Summits was a Colorado Bestseller during the summer of 2012, and went on to win two important book awards in 2013 including the Colorado Book Award and IPPY Award. Tomer has also published a peer-reviewed meteorology article in the National Weather Association’s Journal of Operational Meteorology.

Chris is a sought-after public speaker. His resume includes over 100 visits to Front Range schools, keynote speaking roles at business luncheons, targeted presentations at private companies, private sector fire weather forecasting, private sector aviation forecasting, master of ceremonies at charity events, book signings, motivational speeches, performance tips for TV and media presentation, and educational workshops at Front Range REI stores.

In his free time, Tomer forecasts for teams around the world climbing and skiing the highest peaks.

You can email Chris at Chris.Tomer@KWGN.com


Recent Articles
  • Repeat performance: Snow set to return for Friday evening commute

    DENVER — It will be déjà vu on Friday with a few bands of snow for the evening commute across Denver, Arvada, Boulder and Fort Collins. Accumulation could mirror Thursday night when it caused Interstate 70 to close in Morrison and several accidents were reported across the metro area. Before that happens, Friday will start with fog and sunshine. High temperatures will reach about 32. The mountains can expect snow during the day and evening on Friday and trickling into […]

  • Cold temperatures remain, 2 chances for light accumulating snow

    DENVER — There are two chances for snow in the Denver metro area over the next two days. There is a 30 percent chance of snow on Thursday afternoon, with no more than 0-1 inch of accumulation. There is a 30 percent to 40 percent chance on Friday night into Saturday morning with no more than 0-1 inch of accumulation. Thursday will start with fog and stay mostly cloudy in the metro area. The best chance for snow showers across […]

  • Denver sets record low of minus 7 degrees; 2 storms approaching with snow

    DENVER — The temperature dropped to minus 7 degrees at Denver International Airport on Wednesday morning, setting a record low for the date. The previous record low was minus 2 degrees, set in 1955 and 1953 at the former Stapleton International Airport. It’s the first time Denver has recorded a record low temperature since Dec. 17, 2016, the National Weather Service said. The day will start with some patchy fog then turn mostly sunny, leading to a quiet day along […]

  • Storm exits, leaving behind bitter cold temperatures; 2 more storm systems on deck

    DENVER — The Presidents Day snowstorm is over and is heading out of Colorado. There will be lingering snow showers and flurries during the day Tuesday along with breaks of sunshine. Temperatures hovered around 0 degrees and will only climb to 19 by the afternoon. There’s a slightly better chance for a snow shower during the evening commute. There was about 4 inches of accumulation in Denver, Aurora, Greeley and Fort Collins, with 6 inches in Evergreen, 8 inches in […]

  • After nearly reaching 70 degrees, ice, snow, plummeting temperatures move into Colorado

    DENVER — Temperatures dropped almost 50 degrees after Denver reached a high temperature of 69 degrees on Sunday. Expect an icy mix with fog followed by snow accumulation on Monday. The ice occurs on Monday morning, then snow will fall during the evening commute with 2-6 inches of accumulation possible in Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. High temperatures will only get to around 27 degrees. The mountains and foothills can also expect snow on Monday with gusty winds likely to […]

  • Storm system moves out; windy and warm weekend before snow returns

    DENVER — A storm system has exited Colorado, leaving behind clear, cold conditions. Snow fell overnight in the Denver metro area, leaving roads icy in spots for the morning commute. It will be sunny on Friday in Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins with highs reaching the mid-40s. A big theme of the weekend will be high winds in the mountains, foothills and to some degree the western suburbs. A high wind watch is in effect starting Friday night for gusts […]

  • Heavy snow moves into mountains; chance of light snow for Denver metro area

    DENVER — Expect a day of changing weather in Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins on Thursday with a cold front arriving in the afternoon. It will start with sunshine before clouds increase during the day. High temperatures will reach near 50 degrees at midday, then fall toward the evening rush. Light snow is possible for the evening rush through about midnight, with 0-1 inch of accumulation for Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. The Palmer Divide, including Castle Rock and Monument, […]

  • Sunny, warm and windy for Valentine’s Day; snow set to move in

    DENVER — It will be an abnormally warm and windy Valentine’s Day in Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. High temperatures will surge to around 65 degrees in Denver, with 60 degrees in Fort Collins. Winds will gust to 20-40 mph. The record high for Valentine’s Day in Denver is 71 degrees, set in 1979 and 1924. The next storm system is en route. Light snow will start in the mountains on Wednesday, then gets heavier Wednesday night through Thursday. A […]

  • Warming trend followed by 2 more chances of snow

    DENVER — Expect another foggy morning in Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins on Tuesday. Skies turn partly cloudy this afternoon with a much warmer day and a high of 50 degrees. The mountains continue to get snow. It tapers off on Tuesday afternoon into the evening. The northern mountains will get an additional 1-4 inches, with 2-6 inches in the central mountains and 3-8 inches in the southern mountains in the San Juans. Highs will be in the 20s and […]

  • Cold start to week with temperatures staying below freezing; 2 chances of snow in forecast

    DENVER — Another backdoor cold front arrived in Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins and along the Interstate 76 corridor on Monday morning. Expect fog, cloud cover and a chance for snow showers on Monday afternoon with up to 1 inch in Fort Collins. Highs in the Denver metro area and along the Front Range will only reach the upper 20s. The mountains can expect snow on Monday. The bull’s-eye is over the San Juan Mountains in southwest Colorado, where 8-16 inches […]

  • Foggy morning, then partly cloudy; weekend snow still on track

    DENVER — The first of two cold fronts slammed into the Front Range early Friday morning, spreading fog and freezing mist into Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. The fog and freezing mist covered the Plains as the front moved in from the northeast, reducing visibility to near zero at Denver International Airport. High temperatures occurred in the early-morning hours. Temperatures will continue to fall for the rest of the day into the 30s. The second cold front moves in Friday […]

  • Warm before the storm: Temperatures into 60s ahead of weekend snow

    DENVER — Thursday will be the warm before the storm with high temperatures climbing into to the low 60s in the Denver metro area. Highs will reach the upper 50s in Fort Collins and Greeley. Skies start sunny, then wave cloudiness develops, taking away some sunshine. It will be windy on the west side near the foothills at 15-40 mph. The mountains stay partly to mostly cloudy with highs in the 30s and 40s. It will be windy above treeline […]