Recent Articles
  • Fried chicken locations earn Restaurant Report Card reviews

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Fried chicken establishments are the focus this week. CoraFaye’s Café The longtime favorite when it comes to fried chicken failed our report card with 13 critical health code violations in February and October 2017. The violations included: Employees not washing hands for long enough Fried chicken not hot enough Soap not available at hand sinks The restaurant’s owner sent the following […]

  • Mom Knows Best: Mother’s Day “Brunch” Restaurant Report Card

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Here’s the Mother’s Day brunch edition of Restaurant Report Card. Tavernetta This Italian spot in Denver failed our report card with nine critical health code violations in February. The mistakes included: Cooked pork and artichokes tossed held wrong temperature Employees touching ready to eat food with bare hands Employee left half eaten apple on container The restaurant did not return our […]

  • Rodent droppings, chicken drippings trouble for restaurants receiving ‘F’s’

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Imperial Chinese Seafood The Denver restaurant scored 11 critical health code violations in March. The issues included: Raw chicken dripping juice on broth Dried rice and eggs tossed … held wrong temperature Sanitizing solution measured zero for chlorine “New people came in and they didn’t do job right,” manager Vincent Diep said. “It was human error, but we corrected it right […]

  • Employees not knowing how to handle food safely lead to report card ‘F’s’

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Taco Mex VI The Aurora Taco Mex failed the report card with 17 critical health code violations found during two inspections in February. The mistakes included: Employees not washing hands Handling ready to eat food with bare hands No soap at the hand sink Weak sanitizer “All violations could have been avoided,” owner Alejandro Villegas said in a statement. “The majority […]

  • Pink mold, white mold not good for restaurant during a health inspection

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Denver Country Club The restaurant at the country club failed the report card with 10 critical health code violations in February and August. The critical mistakes included: Pink mold and white mold in ice machines Banned bug spray Warm butter “You are not allowed on the property,” a security guard said. “If you don’t leave, I will call the police.” Denver […]

  • Mold serious health issues for places getting ‘Fs’ in Restaurant Report Card

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Sushi Den The Denver restaurant recognized as one of the city’s best failed our report card with 12 critical health code violations found during surprise inspections in February and August 2017. The mistakes included: “Excessive” black mold like substance in keg cooler Sanitizing solution contained zero ammonium Worker’s bandaged finger not covered by glove The owner of the restaurant did not […]

  • Food held at wrong temperature leads to Restaurant Report Card ‘F’

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Urban Egg, A Daytime Eatery The Denver breakfast restaurant failed the report card with 12 critical health code violations found during surprise inspections in January and July. The critical mistakes included: Sanitizer measured zero for ammonia Clean utensils stored in dirty pan Chorizo was tossed, held at wrong temperature The president of the restaurant group that owns Urban Egg, Randy Price, […]

  • Handling ready-to-eat food with bare hands critical issue for restaurants with ‘F’s’

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Sam’s No. 3 — Aurora A Tri-County health inspector cited the Aurora location for nine critical  health code violations in January. Among the mistakes: Employees not washing hands Cook handling ready to eat food Heavily soiled fly strips Armatas said, “At any given moment something bad or good can happen,” restaurant general manager Patrick Armatas, who added the restaurant is now […]

  • Hand-washing critical issue for restaurants getting report card ‘F’

    DENVER — Every week, FOX31 looks at health inspections at restaurants in metro Denver and along the Front Range. Kneaders — Arvada The Arvada location failed the report card with 11 critical health code violations found last month and in August 2016. The critical mistakes included: Not washing hands Not changing gloves Pest box stored on cake boxes “Kneaders Bakery & Cafe of Arvada has taken immediate action based on the evaluation which was given during our Health Department inspections,” […]

  • Tri-County health revoked licenses, temporarily closed locations featured on Restaurant Report Card

    DENVER — There was a deadly salmonella poisoning at La California in Aurora earlier this month. One person died, three were hospitalized and 33 others suffered food poisoning at the Mexican Restaurant on Peoria Street. The Tri-County Health Department did not shut down La California, but it has shut down other locations by revoking their license or temporarily closing the restaurant until violations are corrected. Four of the 10 locations Tri-County closed in the past two years have been featured […]

  • No hot water common issue for restaurants fined after health inspections

    DENVER — Every week, the FOX31 Problem Solvers we go behind kitchen doors for a look at restaurants to ensure food safety. Inspectors fine restaurants for repeat critical violations and for issues like no hot water or a pest infestation. From inspections to collections, it is an expensive and time-consuming process designed to keep the public safe. Hundreds of restaurants owe $500,000 in fines. “We will turn them over to a collection agency,” said Danica Lee of the Denver Environmental […]

  • Health department pictures show mold at Elway’s Cherry Creek

    Health Department Picture Elway's Restaurant