AURORA, Colo. -- The Tri-County Health Department said one person has died from salmonella poisoning related to eating at a restaurant in Aurora. The outbreak put three other people in the hospital.
The health department said 33 people were sickened by eating at La California restaurant on Peoria Street in November.
The health department said lab tests show the family combination meal might have led to the poisoning. The meal includes ingredients such as meat, beans and cilantro.
But investigators could not pinpoint what started the outbreak.
The health department said the outbreak affected people who ate at La California from Nov. 4-26. Almost all of the people infected experienced diarrhea and abdominal cramping.
La California is at 1685 Peoria St.
The health department's report said 13 of the 33 cases are confirmed, and 20 of the cases are probable for salmonella.
The illnesses involved 32 restaurant patrons and one employee.
Twenty-five cases had exposures at the restaurant with their meals within a five-day period from Nov. 10-14.
La California earned an "F" in the Restaurant Report Card for 30 critical violations in its March 2015 health inspection.