Sales of Denver-based Zen magnets banned again

DENVER -- For the second time since the company started eight years ago, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has ordered Denver-based Zen magnets to stop sales and has issued a recall.

"We can't sell Zen magnets, we can't sell neoballs, we can't sell about 90 percent of our income," Shihan Qu said.

"Now my employees have been instructed that they potentially may not have a job to rely on."

There's an ongoing debate about whether the magnets are safe.

Zen magnets must reach out to anyone who purchased its products within 150 days to notify them of the hazards of ingesting the magnets.

"They say that basically these magnets are dangerous and they are defective and therefore they must be recalled," Qu said.

Doctors say they're a hazard for kids. A toddler in September needed surgery after she swallowed the magnets.

"I think it would be terrifying to have your child have to go to the emergency room," Qu said. "At this point, of course, it's very frustrating.

"People are usually surprised I'm not more angry about the situation, but maybe that's why I called it zen magnets in the first place."

Zen magnets is just one company. Other magnet organizations are still allowed to sell their materials.