SUV hauling barbecue grill explodes after woman lights cigarette

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A couple moving a gas grill in an SUV were injured on Sunday when one of them lit a cigarette and an explosion happened.

Police in Orlando, Florida, released photos that showed extensive damage to the Kia Sorento with the roof blown out and the air bags deployed.

The windshield was on the ground. All of the other glass was blown from the vehicle.

Police said the couple in the SUV suffered burns, but their injuries were not life threatening.

The grill was turned on, and the propane tank was open and connected, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The wife lit a cigarette and the SUV exploded, according to police. After the explosion, the vehicle crashed into a pole.