1-year-old who overdosed on opiates dies days later

AKRON, Ohio — A 1-year-old boy who overdosed on opiates found at the child’s home died at a hospital days after the incident, according to the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Police responded after two 911 calls made from a home on Gale Street at about 6:30 p.m. The first was made by the children’s mother, who hung up before providing an address.

Then, the baby’s 9-year-old brother called and was able to tell police where they lived. He stayed on the phone with the dispatcher and even tried to get his mother a few times to ask her about CPR.

When paramedics arrived, they were able to revive the baby with Narcan.

Lt. Rick Edwards, with the Akron Police Department, praised the young boy for his quick actions, “He’s a hero. He did everything he can do and anything we’d expect. But at this age it’s heartbreaking to put the 9-year-old in that position where you have to call police and paramedics for 1-year-old.”

The child told police his baby brother had been playing with a baggy with residue in it. Police are now testing it to see what opioid it was.

The children’s mother, Destaine Carter, was able to disappear during the incident, but was later brought to the hospital to see the baby.

The 9-year-old and a 5-year-old who was also at the home at the time are now in the custody of Summit County Children’s Services.