Lightning strike causes Thornton house fire

THORNTON, Colo. -- A lightning strike caused a home in Thornton to catch fire Tuesday afternoon, the Thornton Fire Department said.

The fire burned in the attic of the home at 4348 E. 93rd Drive about 4:15 p.m., officials said. The owners of the home were not home at the time.

Soloman the cat made it through a lightning strike, fire at his house in Thornton.

Their cat, Soloman, was there and he was fine Tuesday night, officials said.

The Red Cross in Denver is assisting with the incident.

Lightning was part of a storm system that moved through the Denver metro area on Tuesday, causing heavy rain and small hail in some areas along the Front Range.