WESTMINSTER, Colo. — Smoke from a computer in the basement at Westminster High School forced the evacuation of the building during an event Wednesday night.
The small fire started about 8:50 p.m. in the school’s computer lab, the Westminster Fire Department said. Smoked filled the hallway before firefighters quickly contained it.
An auditorium in an adjacent building that was filled for a school function was evacuated. There were no injuries.
School officials are assisting with the investigation and decided to close the school on Thursday out of safety concerns and from the lingering smell of smoke.
A letter was sent to parents on Wednesday night informing them of the closure.
During Westy Idol (April 19), the fire department was called to Westminster High School to investigate smoke coming from the garden level. The severity of the smoke resulted in an evacuation of the building. It was determined a computer caught fire and all students and families are safe.
Because there are still fumes in the building, there will be no school at Westminster High School on Thursday, April 20. This is purely a precautionary measure.
There is also no school on Friday because of an already scheduled teacher exchange day.
The winners of Westy Idol will be recognized during the Board Meeting on Tuesday, April 25. Please visit westminsterpublicschools.org for updates.
Thank you for you patience.