Contractor volunteers to help family without power

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AURORA, Colo. -- Owners of Denver Meadows Mobile Home Park have notified tenants they will be closing in June 2018 after more than 30 years.

People living there say management is still raising the rent but doesn't want to spend any money on maintenance.

Resident Shannon Holloman said wiring problems started cutting power to her mobile home on and off starting Feb. 20. Three weeks later, it went out completely.

When Holloman called the FOX31 Problem Solvers, she said her son was doing his homework in the dark while she was trying to keep $97 in groceries from spoiling.

“At this point, I don't have any power at all. It was very cold last night and despite my efforts, the landlady is not going to get anybody here until 8:30 supposedly Monday,” Shannon said Saturday.

She called the fire department and Xcel Energy to inspect the power unit.

“They told me not to turn it back on because when I tried it earlier today, it was like a big ball of sparks. This is where the problem is, a ball of light comes out from under it, it's like a grounding issue,” she said showing the fried connection box.

They found burnt wiring inside and posted a notice reading: "Wiring in socket is scorched ... plug for unit is burnt ... property management needs to make repairs to restore service."

The person who answered Denver Meadows' management office phone hung up after we identified ourselves.

Five minutes after we reported the problems, contractor Chuck Critchley called Problem Solvers.

"Seeing what kind of mom she was, you know, to keep him doing his homework is just it really hit me and my wife really hard," Critchley said.

The next day, Critchley was out examining the electrical box.

"The wires have disintegrated pretty much," he said.

Critchley and his wife showed up Sunday morning to repair and replace what Xcel and the fire department declared a “dangerous fire hazard.”

"It touches me that people are so good when I've talked to people that have been so nasty. It makes me feel good and I'm just so appreciative," Holloman said. "Just something as small as trying to keep power when I pay every time, on time."

Critchley did the work on his day off and donated all the parts for a job that would have cost roughly $1,000.

He said the mobile home park management likely couldn't have gotten an electrician there until at least Wednesday or Thursday because they're so busy with construction projects.

Two hours after he arrived, the family had all new wiring and connections with power to their mobile home -- and both families shared big hugs, tears and thanks in the driveway.