Ex-employee says company covered up after teen was fatally shot at party

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- A high school honor student was shot to death outside an after-hours party in November, but the Denver Police Department never made any arrests.

Sanghyuk Kim, a popular musician from Overland High School, was shot to death during a fight that spilled out onto the street.

Owners of the building housing Legacy Traffic Management where the party was held denied any connection to the party.

"That's not true. They did have after-hours parties," said Julie Barcelon who left the company March 3.

Barcelon said she has been wanting to talk about what she knew since November because she wants the boy's family to know.

But she said management warned employees not to talk to anyone about what happened.

"There was a child that lost his life over this and for nobody to ever know ... being a parent, I understand that and that's the reason I came forward," said Barcelon.

She said she kept the company’s books.

There were half-empty liquor bottles the morning after the shooting. A phone number listed on a flier advertising a teen back-to-school party at the same business address.

A recorded message said: "You have reached Clifton Washington with Legacy Traffic Management …”

Barcelon said Washington was a manager with Legacy Traffic Management.

"If it wasn't tied anywhere, then why would you have a company number on there? These parties were known by Legacy and this I do know," Barcelon said.

A man in the front office said he had no comment and referred us to their attorney, who earlier sent a statement denying any connection to any parties at the warehouse.

"I did the accounting so I know that Legacy did put money into fixing up that garage upper area for after-hours parties,” Barcelon said.

She said they charged $20 a person.

"Since they were collecting money they were sponsoring it. I mean, when owners of companies do know about these things, then there has to be some liability,” she said.

But she was never questioned by police.

"Nobody ever asked me any questions because had they, I would have come forward and I would have been truthful at that time," Barcelon said. "But nobody ever asked me so I never said anything."