2 Iraqis file lawsuit after being detained in New York over travel ban

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK — Lawyers for two Iraqis with ties to the U.S. military who had been granted visas to enter the United States have filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump and the government after they were detained when they arrived at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York on Friday.

There were reports several people were detained.

One of the men who had been detained since Friday evening was released Saturday afternoon. The man said he traveled to the United States on Friday with his family. He was allowed to leave the airport Saturday.

The lawsuit could represent the first legal challenge to Trump’s controversial executive order, which indefinitely suspends admissions for Syrian refugees and limits the flow of other refugees into the United States by instituting what the president has called “extreme vetting” of immigrants.

Trump’s order also bars Iraqi citizens, as well as people from six other Muslim-majority nations, from entering the U.S. for 90 days, and suspends the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program for 120 days until it is reinstated “only for nationals of countries for whom” members of Trump’s Cabinet deem can be properly vetted.

According to court papers, both men legally were allowed to come into the U.S. but were detained in accordance with Trump’s move to ban travel from several Muslim-majority nations.

The lawyers for the two men called for a hearing because they maintain the detention of people with valid visas is illegal. They were still at John F. Kennedy International Airport as of late Saturday morning, one of the lawyers said.

“Because the executive order is unlawful as applied to petitioners, their continued detention based solely on the executive order violates their Fifth Amendment procedural and substantive due process rights,” the lawyers argue in court papers.

The two Iraqi men named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit are Hameed Khalid Darweesh, who worked as an interpreter for the U.S. during the Iraq War, and Haider Sameer Abdulkaleq Alshawi.

The lawsuit said Darweesh held a special immigrant visa, which he was granted the day of Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20, for his work for the U.S. government from 2003 to 2013.

The lawsuit said the U.S. granted Alshawi a visa earlier this month to meet with his wife and son, whom the U.S. already granted refugee status for their association with the U.S. military.

Court papers said Customs and Border Protection authorities did not allow the lawyers to meet with the men and told them to try reaching Trump.

Democratic Reps. Jerrold Nadler and Nydia Velázquez, both of New York, attempted to speak to Darweesh and Alshawi at JFK’s Terminal 4 but were denied.

“When Mr. Darweesh’s attorneys approached CBP requesting to speak with Mr. Darweesh, CBP indicated that they were not the ones to talk to about seeing their client. When the attorneys asked, ‘Who is the person to talk to?’ the CBP agents responded, ‘Mr. President. Call Mr. Trump,'” the court papers read.

Lawyers for Iraqi refugees filed the suit in federal court arguing Darweesh and Alshawi were being unlawfully held “solely pursuant” to an executive order issued on Friday.

Arguing that their clients have “valid entry documents,” they say the were blocked from exiting JFK and detained.

One of the attorneys, Mark Doss of the International Refugee Assistance Project, told CNN his clients knew they had to get to the US as soon as possible so they boarded the first flight they could.

The two men, one of whom has now been held for 14 hours, have been allowed to make phone calls. The two men do not know each other, and it is unclear if they are being held together or separately, or if they are being kept in a holding cell, according to Doss. One man traveled from Sweden and one from Iraq.

One man is married and his wife lives in the US. She had prior refugee status and she had secured the same for her husband. The other man had a US-affiliated special immigrant visa, which allows Iraqis and Afghans who had served on behalf of US troops to enter, Doss said.

Some of the International Refugee Assistance Project’s clients entered Friday with no issue, Doss said, adding that a handful of families entered JFK and Los Angeles International Airport without any problems.

Immigration-rights groups, including the National Immigration Law Center and the ACLU, are representing the Iraqi men. Lawyers for the Iraqis are aiming to file a class-action lawsuit on behalf of other refugees.

“Our courageous plaintiff and countless others risked their lives helping U.S. service members in Iraq. Trump’s order puts those who have helped us in harm’s way by denying them the safe harbor they have been promised in the United States,” said Karen Tumlin, the legal director of the NILC.

An administration official said if a person has a valid visa to enter the U.S. but is a citizen of one of the seven countries under the temporary travel ban, then the person cannot come into the U.S.

If the person landed after the order was signed Friday afternoon, then the person would be detained and put back on a flight to their country of citizenship.

Separately, Department of Homeland Security officials acknowledged people who were in the air would be detained upon arrival and put back on a plane to their home country. An official was not able to provide numbers of how many have already been detained.