COLORADO - New Year, new goals. If you decide to attempt a calendar Winter 14er or other high peak don't underestimate the conditions. Here are just a few things to keep in mind before stepping out the door.
- Avalanches: Get out in the field and take an avalanche class.
- Weather: Understand the forecast inside and out before leaving your house.
- Time: Everything in Winter takes twice as long.
- Gear: Use waterproof, lightweight gear. If you cut corners it will come back to bite you.
- Personal Limitations: Start small and build up. Start on smaller peaks to build fitness and experience allowing yourself to grow.