Coroner: Ex-Avalanche forward Marek Svatos died from ‘combined drug intoxication’
LONE TREE, Colo. — Former Avalanche forward Marek Svatos died from “combined drug intoxication,” the Douglas County Coroner’s Office said Monday.
Combined drug intoxication is also referred to as multiple drug intake or lethal polydrug/polypharmacy intoxication. It is often confused with drug overdose, but it is a different phenomenon.
The coroner’s report did not says what drugs were found in the toxicology tests.
Using more than one drug at a time intensifies the effects of any individual drug and makes them more dangerous, according to the Addiction Center.
The coroner’s office said the manner of death could not be determined, meaning it’s not clear whether it was accidental.
The Lone Tree Police Department said it was called to Svatos’ home on Bluffmont Drive just before midnight on Nov. 4 for a medical issue.
When officers arrived, they found it was already too late to save him. He was pronounced deceased at 12:12 a.m. on Nov. 5.
Svatos was 34 years old and left behind a wife and two children.
Officials said neurologic tissue was sent to the Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Center in Boston for neuropathological examination.