WATKINS, Colo. -- A fire southeast of Denver International Airport on Wednesday afternoon burned a house and garage on a farm, Aurora Fire Rescue said.
Large bales of hay were also on fire and crews said Wednesday night it would take several hours to extinguish the flames.
Three people suffered minor injuries as a result of the 50-acre fire.
Large plumes of smoke could be seen from the fire, which was reported in the 3200 block of Imboden Road, north of Watkins.
At least two buildings were on fire at 1 p.m.
The fire broke out about noon. While fire crews have not yet determined the cause of the fire, it is believed to have started at the house that was engulfed.
Warm, dry conditions fueled the fire. The temperature reached a record high of 78 degrees at DIA just before noon. It eventually hit 80 degrees.
"We’ve been on high alert for the last month. It’s been so dry and warm. When is the snow coming? We need the snow so bad, the rain. We’ll take anything here," Aurora Fire Rescue spokesman Tony Krenz said.
Instead of moisture, the area got wind.
"It spread pretty quick. I mean the wind was blowing real hard," neighbor Deb Vallin said.
The windy conditions caused the fire to cross a road north of the house, scorching a field and engulfing a garage on the other side.
A 1956 Mercury Feighton parked inside the garage was also lost. It only had 58,000 miles on it.
"The biggest thing that happened today was the Lord saved my house," the car's owner Roger Agnew said. "Everything is burned except right around the house."
A fire burned more than 300 acres north of the airport on Sunday. Wednesday's fire is about 20 miles south of that location.