2 Evergreen High School students arrested for hazing

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EVERGREEN, Colo. -- Two Evergreen High School students are facing criminal charges after their bullying crossed the line into hazing, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office said Thursday.

The hazing is so serious that deputies have recommended a felony charge for one of the students.

The suspects, both juveniles, were arrested earlier this week. The Jefferson County Public Schools district said both students have been suspended.

"Even at a good school, tensions rise and things happen," an Evergreen High School senior said.

Two football players, ages 15 and 16, targeted four classmates several times with threats and violence, according to deputies. The most recent incident reported to law enforcement occurred Monday.

"It's going around the school like wildfire," another senior said.

Investigators are pursuing the 15-year-old for misdemeanor harassment. The 16-year-old, accused of threatening a student with a piece of broken glass, is facing felony menacing.

"It's kind of shocking to hear that someone was threatened with a piece of glass," a student said.

Even with a school board meeting Thursday night, officials with Jefferson County Public Schools would not comment. District leaders would only confirm the criminal investigation and said the students who were arrested have been suspended.

"My heart goes out those that are involved on both sides," parent April Taylor-Green said.

Parents said they were surprised to learn of the arrests from the media.

"This is a great school, great administration," Taylor-Green said. "I would trust that they would do the best when faced with this."

Detectives said they are still in the early stages of their investigation and expect to release more details on the case in the coming days. Both of the suspects have been released to their parents.

As of late Thursday, they were still waiting to be formally charged by prosecutors.