THORNTON, Colo. -- Crews battled a suspected marijuana grow house fire on Thursday morning, the Thornton Fire Department said.
The fire broke at 1031 East 89th Ave., between Corona and Downing streets, about 6:30 a.m. after a downed power pole in the backyard sparked the home.
Crews had a tough time fighting the fire because of power lines in the area but were able to bring it under control not long after arriving. Flames and heavy smoke was seen billowing from the home.
Officials said no individuals or pets were inside at the time of the fire. One firefighter was taken to a hospital suffering from dehydration.
The Thornton Police Department said fire crews discovered a possible marijuana grow inside the home as they fought the fire. After the fire was out, police and the North Metro Drug Task Force began investigating the grow after obtaining a search warrant.
Officials said 23 homes lost power for about three hours because of the downed power line but it has since been restored.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 720-977-5069.