CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- An Arapahoe County civil jury ruled Thursday that Cinemark was not liable for the Aurora theater shooting in 2012 that left 12 people dead and 70 others injured.
Twenty-eight families of those killed and wounded in the July 20, 2012, massacre sued Cinemark, the company that owns the Century 16 Theater in Aurora where the attack took place.
The families claimed there was not enough security to stop James Holmes from carrying out the shooting that night. The families argued throughout the trial that the theater chain should have been prepared, and in some way been able to foresee the possibility of a mass shooting, ready with armed guards and security cameras.
But Cinemark said there is no way that was possible, even with the number of shootings that have happened. The theater chain said if it was found responsible, every business in the world would be liable for what happens on its property.
A five-man, one-woman jury agreed with the chain.
In the meantime, several victims have filed complaints against the Colorado Department of Corrections. They believe it has violated their rights by refusing to reveal where Holmes is serving his 12 life sentences plus 3,318 years.
The shooter was moved to an out-of-state prison earlier this year, but the department has repeatedly refused to make that location public.
A hearing on that complaint is scheduled for Friday.