DENVER -- An early-morning apartment fire on South Quebec Street in the Denver Tech Center could have been caused by hash oil operation inside an apartment complex Thursday, the Denver Police Department said
The fire injured one firefighter and displaced several residents. Police are working with the Denver Fire Department to investigate. One person who was inside the unit that burst into flames has been been detained for questioning but has not been arrested.
It happened at the Parliament Apartments in the 4300 block of South Quebec Street just after 8 a.m. Neighbors said they heard popping noises and explosions, and saw large flames coming out of a third-floor unit.
“People were just in shock, kind of just running around,” resident Luc Arnaud said.
Arnaud called 911 after seeing flames across the way. Fire officials said there was an explosion in the third floor unit; that area has extensive damage, including the unit directly next door.
"I heard their smoke alarm and then mine started going off. I knew I had to get out right away,” said Sarah, a displaced resident.
Sarah said she saw her neighbor’s balcony go up in flames. She was able to grab her purse and jewelry box.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control without it spreading farther. Flames went through the roof of the unit where the fire started and both units were declared total losses, fire officials said.
Officials said there is evidence that leads them to believe the fire could be from a hash oil explosion. At least a dozen units are uninhabitable. The American Red Cross is housing four displaced residents.
Police said one person inside the apartment where the fire started was injured, but the extent of the injuries has not been released.
The firefighter who was injured suffered minor injuries and is expected to be OK. The extent and nature of the injuries were not released.