DENVER -- Since 2007, Google Maps has allowed us to tour the world. Now, in Colorado, Google Maps has gone where automobiles can’t.
They call it the Trekkar Program. Thirty-two locations throughout Colorado, from Estes Park to Garden of the Gods, have been meticulously videotaped, edited and downloaded onto Google Maps.
Ten of those places are in Denver. Those include City Park, the Denver Zoo and Denver Botanic Gardens just to name a few.
Justin Bresler from Visit Denver, with a 60-pound Google camera on his back, took most of the pictures for the Denver tours.
"Who doesn’t love Red Rocks, and so knowing that when people go to Red Rocks on the maps and they see that footage that we were the ones that put it there. That’s a little bit of point of pride," he said.
It did not cost Denver a penny to participate, just a little elbow grease.
“I have, you know, the sore quads to prove it,” Bresler said.
You won’t go where no man has gone before, but you won’t have to leave your front door, either.
Google Maps-collected sites
- Flatirons, Vista South Trail
- Flatirons, Prairie Vista
- Flatirons, Homestead Trail
- Flatirons, Shadow Canyon Trail
- Flatirons, Mesa Trail
- Flatirons, Marshall Mesa
- Flatirons, Community Ditch
- Flatirons, Marshall Valley
- Flatirons, Doudy Draw Trail
- Flatirons, Spring Brook Loop South Trail
- Flatirons, Towhee Trail
- Colorado State Capitol
- Garden of the Gods -- Time Machine
Denver Convention and Visitors Bureau-collected sites
- Red Rocks
- Highland Bridge
- South Platte River Trail
- Civic Center Park
- Washington Park
- Wild Animal Sanctuary
- City Park
- Denver Botanic Gardens at Chatfield
- Denver Botanic Gardens
- Denver Zoo
Visit Estes Park-collected sites
- Lake Estes Trail
- Estes Park Riverwalk
- Knoll Willows Trail, Estes Park
- Sprague Lake Trail, Estes Park
- Bear Lake Trail, Estes Park
- Lily Lake Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park
- Deer Mountain Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park
- Forest Canyon Overlook, Rocky Mountain National Park
- Toll Memorial Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park