E-cigarette explosion nearly killed man, family says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- A single moment can change your life. It can also galvanize you.

“I cried from the time I learned about it until I got here,” Collesia Porter said.

Her brother, an athlete, used an e-cigarette and it nearly killed him.

“I know now, I want the world to know now, we can't have this happening,” Porter said.

On Friday, her phone rang. Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs delivered the grim news about her brother Cordero.

“He had a broken neck and it was devastating and instantly placed me in shock and fear," Porter said. “He went to inhale from it and it exploded in his mouth.”

Cordero's face was fractured His cheeks were burned. And his neck was broken. Several surgeries later, she knows who saved her brother's life.

“Faith is what brought him through this there is no question about it," she said.

Faith and the doctors at Memorial Hospital. Porter said it will be her mission to have this unregulated industry made safer.

Her brother’s recovery continues. The family set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical costs.