AURORA, Colo. -- It’s a fact: More kids these days have food allergies.
For Aurora mom Shelly Caviness and her 11-year-old son, Jaxon, Halloween, where candy is king, can be tricky.
“He needs to be aware what he puts in his mouth,” Caviness said. “He’s allergic to dairy. So anything that has milk in it. And he is also allergic to shell fish.”
In July, Jaxon ate a whey protein bar, became suddenly ill and was rushed to hospital.
He vomited on the way to the emergency room and had difficulty breathing. He was minutes away from cardiac arrest.
“I knew I probably wasn’t going to die, but I just wanted to stay alive,” Jaxon said.
“Afterwards, he said, ‘you know I just kept waking up to make sure I was still alive.’ So, it was very scary," Shelly Caviness said.
Enter, the Teal Pumpkin Project.
“You paint your pumpkin teal. You put that out and that tells people that are coming by that you have nonfood treats at your house,” said Dr. Dan Atkins, Children’s Hospital allergy chief.
The Teal Pumpkin Project is a big deal for kids like Jaxon with potential life-threatening allergies.
“They’ll see our teal pumpkin sitting on our front step and they’ll know that this is a good house to go to,” Shelly Caviness said.
Trick-or-treat, make room for trick-or-toy.