SHERIDAN, Colo. -- A warehouse fire spewed black smoke into the air and prompted preemptive evacuations Saturday evening.
It happened at in the 4400 block of South Clay Street near Federal Boulevard and Oxford Avenue in unincorporated Sheridan around 7 p.m.
The area includes residential homes, warehouses and a storage site for boats and RV's.
Denver Fire said that some of the homes were evacuated as a precaution.
"I was honestly shocked because it came out of nowhere - and when we looked out, there was so much black smoke," said Crystal Carillo, another neighbor. "I really had no idea what was really going on."
Residents described hearing a loud explosion when the fire started.
"You could see big, black smoke coming up from right over the hill, billowing and billowing," said Jake Delage, a resident of the neighborhood. "And every now and then, you'd hear another boom or a pop."
The towering black smoke could reportedly be seen for miles.
No one was injured or transported in the fire and firefighters contained most of the blaze around 7:30 p.m.