TODAY: Skyrocketing Rents; Letterman Finale; Mom Shames Daughter on Facebook
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Wednesday, May 20, 2015.
1. Report: ‘Rental crisis’ shows rents continue to skyrocket in Denver metro area
The Denver metro area is in the middle of what experts are calling a rental crisis as the cost of renting an apartment continues to soar. A report from Zillow shows the average rent in the Denver metro area is $1,868 a month, a spike of 11.6 percent over last year.
2. Bones found buried inside Denver home
Contractors working on a home in Denver unearthed a mystery that could be 100 years old. Ray Evridge and his son were tearing up the floorboard on a home in the 3800 block of Adams Street when they discovered shoes and bones that could be those of a toddler.
3. Beer alcohol content tested at Coors Field, Pepsi Center
Industrial Laboratories in Wheat Ridge tested three draft beers at the Pepsi Center and three brews at Coors Field for their alcohol content by volume.
4. 273 pounds of heroin seized in region’s most complex bust ever
Fifteen search warrants served on suspected heroin traffickers concluded what authorities say is the largest and most complex heroin bust in the history of the Rocky Mountain region. They seized 273 pounds of heroin worth $40 million on the street.
5. Additional money for Aurora VA hospital unlikely, according to House leaders
House leaders in Washington say additional funding for the troubled $1.73 billion VA Hospital in Aurora is unlikely. Construction at the job site could stop Sunday.
6. After 33 years and 6,028 shows, David Letterman signs off
David Letterman ended his late-night television career with a heartfelt “good night” and goodbye to viewers. “The only thing I have left to do for the last time on a television program … thank you and good night,” Letterman said.
7. Dylan Redwine case back in spotlight; father says it’s a ‘waste of time’
More than two years after Colorado teenager Dylan Redwine vanished while on vacation, his murder case is back in the national spotlight after his parents appeared on a syndicated talk show.
8. Police arrest suspect in sexual assault on Auraria Campus
The Denver Police Department arrested James Holmes, 54, for the attempted sexual assault on a student on Auraria Campus weeks ago.
9. Metro State basketball coach cited for DUI
Metro State University basketball coach Derrick Clark has been cited for DUI. According to police reports, Auraria Campus police pulled Clark over at Seventh Street and Colfax Avenue just after midnight Tuesday morning.
10. Denver mom shames daughter, 13, for posing as 19-year-old, posting suggestive photos
A video posted to Facebook by a Denver mother has gone viral after she shamed her 13-year-old daughter for posing as a 19-year-old and posting suggestive photos. Val Starks posted the video Sunday and it has been viewed more than 9 million times and shared nearly 300,000 times.