Cinco de Mayo is a fun and festive celebration of the Mexican culture! But so many Mexican dishes we love are covered with cheese and laden with calories. Jeannie Schwendtner, Registered Dietitian with King Soopers, shows us an amazing taco recipe that we can enjoy without feeling any guilt. Join Jeannie and several King Soopers dietitians at Civic Center Park Saturday and Sunday, May 2nd & 3rd, to TASTE these tacos for yourself. You can find them at the Jennie-O Turkey truck.
Luau Turkey Tacos - Recipe Courtesy of Jennie-O:
1 lb extra lean ground turkey breast
½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 ½ Tbsp. chopped ginger
1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup Simple Truth Organic low-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup finely chopped green onion
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
2 cups finely chopped Simple Truth Organic spinach
8 whole radicchio leaves*
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey to well done (165°F).
- Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger and chili flakes, if desired; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Add vinegar and cook 2 minutes or until most of the vinegar has evaporated.
- Add soy sauce and cook 2 minutes until it reduces to about 2 tablespoons.
- Add broth and cook 2 minutes or until the liquid reduces to about ¼ cup.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in green onions and cilantro. Cover to keep warm.
- Fill each radicchio leaf with a handful of spinach and 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture.
You can substitute whole wheat or corn tortillas or taco shells for radicchio.