NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — A Florida family will sue after their father was found dead inside a sauna, charred beyond recognition.
The family of 68-year-old Dennis Antiporek said he left a note stating that he was headed to the sauna at Eden Isles Condominiums, where he lived, the New York Daily News reported. When he didn’t return after a few hours, his daughter Lara Antiporek went looking for him.
She opened the door to the sauna and discovered a dead man, according to CBS Miami. She did not initially realize it was her father, a light-skinned man, because the victim appeared to have a dark skin tone.
“He was totally broiled,” a lawyer for the family said. “His skin had fallen off his body. There were huge chunks of skin on the sauna floor. He literally looked like jerky.”
So far, investigators believe the timer on the sauna was broken and the coils in the machine malfunctioned, causing the temperatures to climb much higher than normal. But it is not yet clear whether the malfunction actually killed Antiporek, who suffered from neuropathy.
The medical examiner was working to determine whether the heat could have exacerbated the victim’s health problems, causing his death.