TODAY: Centennial Plane Crash, AirAsia Debris Found, Uber’s High New Year’s Eve Fees
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014.
1. Pilot killed in plane crash near Centennial Airport
A small plane crashed into a neighborhood moments after taking off from Centennial Airport, killing the pilot.
2. Denver metro area faces subzero temps into Wednesday
Arctic temperatures will grip the Denver metro area for the next two days as a cold front moves out of the area.
3. Two arrested, one suspect at large in Westminster shooting
A person was shot near 109th Avenue and Gray Circle in Westminster, police said. Two suspects were arrested, while a third was on the run.
4. Aurora family displaced after house fire
A family of five living in Aurora lost their home when it caught fire. The Aurora Fire Department said a water heater started the fire at the home.
5. Downtown Denver to host double fireworks displays on New Year’s Eve
There again will be two fireworks displays in downtown Denver this New Year’s Eve — for those willing to brave the cold temps to see them. Shows will be held at 9 p.m. and midnight.
6. Tickets for Broncos’ first playoff game sell out in one hour
A small allotment of tickets for the Broncos’ AFC Divisional playoff game on Jan. 11 sold out in an hour Monday. The team has a bye this week and will play the Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts or Cincinnati Bengals.
7. Debris discovered from missing AirAsia flight; 2 bodies found
Debris from missing AirAsia Flight QZ8501 was found and two bodies were found nearby, authorities say.
8. Rep. Grimm to resign ‘sooner rather than later’
Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., will resign “sooner rather than later” after he pleaded guilty to a felony tax evasion charge last week.
9. United Airlines sues 22-year-old who found way to get cheaper plane tickets
A young computer whiz from New York has launched a site to help people buy cheap plane tickets. But United Airlines and Orbitz want to shut him down and have filed a lawsuit against him.
10. Uber fares likely to skyrocket on New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Eve is one of Uber’s busiest nights of the year. But that could mean you start 2015 with a much lighter wallet.AlertMe