TODAY: Snow and Cold Temps, Broncos Win to Earn Bye, Generous Sanitation Worker
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Monday Dec. 29, 2014.
1. Snow, cold temps move into area
Snow and bitter cold temperatures will move into the Front Range. Up to 4 inches of snow are expected along the Front Range, with temperatures plunging toward zero.
2. Rockslide closes U.S. 24 near Minturn
A large rockslide blocked U.S. 24 near Minturn, forcing the closure of the road between Minturn and Leadville. There was no estimated time for reopening.
3. Reward for dog poisoning suspect donated to charity
Residents who raised money in an effort to track down a dog poisoning suspect donate the funds to pet-friendly charity.
4. Broncos crush Raiders, earn first-round playoff bye
The Broncos closed the regular season with a 47-14 win over the Oakland Raiders, earning the No. 2 seed in the AFC and a first-round playoff bye. Tickets to the AFC divisional playoff game on Jan. 11 go on sale at 3 p.m.
5. Indonesia AirAsia plane with 162 aboard goes missing
An AirAsia passenger jet carrying 162 people lost contact with Indonesian air traffic control, gripping Southeast Asia with a second missing plane crisis in less than a year.
6. U.S. marks end of combat mission in Afghanistan
Thirteen years and more than 2,000 American casualties after it began, the war in Afghanistan will conclude responsibly, President Barack Obama said.
7. Ferguson police department spokesman calls Michael Brown memorial ‘a pile of trash’
The spokesman for the Ferguson, Mo., police department is on unpaid leave and facing disciplinary action after reportedly describing the memorial honoring Michael Brown as a “pile of trash.”
8. Sony exec: PlayStation network was downed by cyberattack
A Sony executive said a cyberattack was to blame for the network woes that have been plaguing PlayStation and others since Christmas Day.
9. How to keep your New Year’s resolutions
According to Statistic Brain, only 8 percent of people achieve their New Year’s goals, but there are ways to keep those resolutions.
10. Generous sanitation worker returns found gift card to family, then gets a gift himself
A sanitation worker in Greeley returned a small Christmas gift to a family who accidentally threw it out and now they are repaying his act of kindness in a big way.