TODAY: Broncos win, Larimer County flu issues, Booker settlement
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Monday, Dec. 8, 2014.
1. Broncos win over Buffalo Bills raises eyebrows
The Broncos did walked away with a win, Peyton Manning’s record 51-game passing touchdown streak came to an end and two referees traded a controversial fist bump after a hometown touchdown.
2. Larimer County flu outbreak
There’s concern about a possible flu outbreak in Larimer County. Nearly two dozen people have been hospitalized because of the flu, in the last two months.
3. Protests over Michael Brown, Eric Garner killings continue in Colorado
About 500 people staged marches and a “die-in” in the streets of Boulder, while protesters in Denver gathered during Friday and Saturday night’s Parade of Lights Christmas event,
4. Ex-husband horrified after Colorado teacher stabbed to death in the Abu Dhabi
Despite the fact that the ex-husband of a Colorado teacher killed in the United Arab Emirates said he was shocked by her fatal stabbing, he says he still feels safe there.
5. Family of Marvin Booker expected to receive settlement Monday
The City of Denver is expected to pay the largest settlement ever — $6 million — to the family of a street preacher was died in the Denver Jail.
6. Broken water main floods homes in Arvada
A pair of water main breaks caused problems for Arvada homeowners Sunday. The first break was quickly isolated, but the second break flooded some homes and left others without water for hours.
A second break, near 76th and Webster, however, flooded several homes and left 16 others without water for hours.
7. Report: Red Cross ‘serially misleading’ about where donor dollars are going
“We’re very proud of the fact that 91 cents of every dollar that’s donated goes to our services,” Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern said last year. The problem with that number: It reportedly isn’t true.
8. Internet acronyms every parent should know
If you think you’re up-to-date because you know what LOL and OMG means, you might think again after checking out these 28 other Internet acronyms.
9. Fire rages in downtown Los Angeles
An apartment block under construction in downtown Los Angeles continued to burn Monday morning, shutting down the 101 Freeway through the city.
10. Colorado’s Lindsey Vonn gets back to form with Lake Louise victory
Skiing star Lindsey Vonn led a sweep of the World Cup podium for the United States with a comeback victory in the downhill at Lake Louise Saturday.