MARYVILLE, Tenn. — Colin Lambert is like most kids his age. He enjoys talking on the phone, dancing and looking at pictures of himself on Facebook. But Tuesday, the 18-month-old got stuck in a toy vending machine.
The boy’s grandmother was watching him and looked away for a moment.
“I got a text message, looked down, flicked it, looked down and didn’t hear the bang, and with Colin you have to hear the bang or you don’t see him for another 10 seconds,” Diane O’Neill said. “All I could see was his feet. He had already called in. I grabbed his feet and he kicked my hand and he got in, climbed up and over glass partition and sat down in the toys.”
O’Neill says her grandson loves crawling into and onto just about everything he can, so she wasn’t surprised when he got in. But she was worried about dangers inside the machine.
“My biggest fear was that he was going to climb back over and try to get out the plastic they had that held the toys in,” she said. “It’s cracked and broken in several places. I was afraid he was going to try to climb over and get hurt.”
O’Neill quickly called police and her daughter, who was sleeping after a long day at work.
Firefighters got the little boy out — and they let him have one toy to take home.