TODAY: Phone Solicitor Sought, Fall Colors on Full Display, Baby Fossa Born
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Friday, Sept. 26, 2014.
1. Phony door-to-door solicitor sought in Boulder sex assault
Police are looking for a phony door-to-door solicitor who allegedly forced his way into a Boulder woman’s home and sexually assaulted her.
2. 17-year-old still in hospital after taking club drug at Skylab festival
A Denver teenager remained in the hospital after allegedly taking the club drug molly at an electronic dance music festival.
3. JeffCo board member at center of controversy speaks out
Julie Williams, the Jefferson County School Board member at the center of the controversy surrounding Advanced Placement U.S. history curriculum that has led to student walkouts all week, spoke out to set the record straight about her plans.
4. Castle Rock teen battles cystic fibrosis, gets recognition in One Republic video
A new music video by the Colorado band One Republic tells the story of a Castle Rock teenager who is living with and fighting cystic fibrosis and the song was featured for the first time in the new Fox hit show “The Red Band Society.”
5. Perfect weekend on tap for fall color viewing
Colorado fall colors in the high country will be in full display this weekend as temperatures stay warm, and several people are expected to check them out, especially along the Peak to Peak Highway and into Rocky Mountain National Park.
6. New poll puts Gardner ahead of Udall by two
Republican Senate candidate Cory Gardner leads incumbent Democratic Sen. Mark Udall by a 47-45 percent margin in a survey released by Public Policy Polling, a firm that generally tends to favor left-leaning candidates.
7. Boulder Marathon will not happen this year
Permits needed by marathon owner Jeff Mason and Jeff Suffolk’s Human Movement Group were not requested 60 days before the event was to be staged so there will not be a marathon in Boulder on Oct. 5.
8. Flights into, out of Chicago grounded because of fire
Flights into and out of Chicago’s O’Hare International and Midway airports were stopped because of a fire at a Federal Aviation Administration air traffic control facility.
9. Derek Jeter has magical ending at Yankee Stadium
Retiring shortstop Derek Jeter hit a single to right field in the ninth inning to score the winning run as the Yankees beat the Baltimore Orioles, 6-5, in Jeter’s final game at Yankee Stadium.
10. Baby fossa born at Denver Zoo, resembles small mountain lion
The Denver Zoo announced the birth of its first fossa pup. The male pup, named Rico, was born July 28 and has stayed behind the scenes while his mother, Violet, has taken good care of him.