Kiana Farkash was one of 54 chefs between the ages of 8 and 12 to attend a state dinner at the White House in July capping off the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge- a nationwide contest that asked young cooks and their families to whip up original recipes that are delicious and nutritious.
Kiana's recipe was for grilled salmon with farro and a warm Swiss chard salad.
Salmon and farro:
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 salmon fillets (about 1 lb. total)
- 2 Tbs. herbes de Provence
- Generous pinch garlic powder
- Generous pinch onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- In a large saucepan, boil 2 cups water over high heat.
- Add farro and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until grains are tender and water is absorbed, about 30 min.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Rub salmon with olive oil.
- Combine herbes de Provence, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl, then use mixture to evenly to coat salmon.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Grill salmon 5 min.
- Flip and place lemon slices on fillets.
- Grill another 5 min., or until fish can be flaked apart with a butter knife.
- Remove lemon slices.
For the Swiss chard salad:
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, tough stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add Swiss chard and saute 2 min.
- Add carrot and red pepper and cook 2 min. more, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and Swiss chard wilts.
- Add balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among four plates and top with feta cheese.
- Place one salmon fillet on each salad portion and serve alongside farro.
For the smoothie:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 frozen bananas, cut into chunks
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Add liquid ingredients to the blender.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.