TODAY: Inmate Lawsuit, Selfie With Obama, Dog in Cinder Block
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Thursday, July 31, 2014.
1. Lawsuit filed by inmate slammed into courtroom wall
A shackled inmate who was seen being slammed into a courtroom wall by a Denver Sheriff’s deputy is suing the department and the city, seeking millions in damages.
2. Windsor hit hard by recent storm
Basements in homes flooded in Windsor after the storms dropped more than 4 inches of rain over two days. Roofs and ceilings have issues and the water flowed through the ceiling at Windsor Middle School.
3. VA looking at firing two leaders in Colorado and Wyoming
Two top supervisors in Colorado and Wyoming face disciplinary actions, including possibly losing their jobs for manipulating records on veterans’ wait times.
4. Colorado family snaps selfie with Obama
A Parker family visiting Kansas City, Mo., got a surprise when President Barack Obama walked into the restaurant where they were eating, then snapped a souvenir photo.
5. Broncos’ Harris back up to speed quickly after surgery
Broncos cornerback Chris Harris was removed from the Physically Unable to Perform list after having ACL surgery just six months ago, saying he came back from the injury quicker than Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.
6. Woman charged with driving high, assaulting six people
A 22-year-old woman has been charged with multiple counts of assault after she allegedly crashed her car into another vehicle while high on marijuana.
7. State Sen. Steve King faces charges
Prosecutors charged Colorado State Sen. Steve King for his role in several alleged crimes. They say King was involved in embezzlement of public property, forgery, theft and official misconduct.
8. European monitors reach MH17 crash site after Ukraine calls cease-fire
International monitors from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe reached the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash site for the first time in almost a week.
9. House votes to sue President Obama
The Republican-led House approved a resolution authorizing Speaker John Boehner to sue President Barack Obama over claims he exceeded his executive authority.
10. Dog rescued after being stuck in cinder block
A dog in Arizona got his head stuck in a decorative cinder block and had to be rescued by firefighters.