Grease fire causes Castle Rock apartment fire that displaces eight; no injuries

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. -- A two-alarm grease fire heavily damaged four units in an apartment complex early Friday morning.

The Castle Rock fire marshal says a resident left a pan of grease on the stove, then fell asleep. Castle Rock Fire Department Chief Art Morales said the fire started about 3:15 a.m. at the Winrock Apartments at 922 South St. He said five occupants in the apartment woke up to pizza boxes next to the stove on fire.

All five were able to escape the fire without injury. One resident next door and two residents in an upstairs unit were able to escape without injury. A fourth unit that was heavily damaged was vacant. Morales said the Red Cross has been called in to help those who have been displaced.

Morales said it took 35 firefighters about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control. Besides Castle Rock Fire, crews from South Metro Fire, Larkspur Fire and Franktown Fire helped battle the blaze.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.