Weather closures and delays

Motor home catches fire in Thornton

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THORNTON, Colo. -- A man and woman's motor home caught fire Saturday after it broke down in Thornton.

According to Thornton Police Department spokesperson Matt Barnes, the two's motor home had broken down at 120th Street and Colorado Boulevard shortly before 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

They pulled the vehicle over into a nearby King Sooper's parking lot, and began to work on the fuel pump to get it going again. When they restarted the engine, the truck caught on fire and the flames spread quickly, said Barnes.

By the time firefighters had arrived on scene, Barnes said the camper was a complete loss.

No injuries were reported as a result of the incident.

4 comments

  • Robert Gift

    “Motor home”
    Don’t work on fuel systems if you do not know what you are doing.
    No ABC fire extinguisher at-the-ready to put the fire out before it grew?

    Could they have driven away from the fire on the pavement?

  • JD Sweet

    I don’t know about RV’s, but commercial motor vehicles are required to have an extinguisher inside the cab. Perhaps they should have had one.

    • Robert Gift

      Though it likely will never be needed, everyone should have a small dry chemical fire distinguisher in their vehicle. Ace, Lowe’s and Home Depot sell them. Probably even available at the King Soopers where they parked.
      After “repair” to the fuel problem, I would have had mine out and ready when starting up.

Comments are closed.