Daytona 500 resumes after six-hour severe-weather delay

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- Racing at the Daytona 500 resumed Sunday night after the race was stopped for more than six hours due to rain and severe weather.

The restart occurred under a yellow flag to dry out any remaining wet spots on the track before the green flag waved.

Shortly after 2 p.m., rain forced drivers to pit road. The 150,000 fans were told to evacuate the grandstands and take necessary precautions after weather radar indicated conditions were favorable for an imminent tornado.

The rains came and went, crews worked to dry the track, and full-speed racing resumed just before 9 p.m.

After the mid-afternoon storm, the National Weather Service in Melbourne, Florida, later canceled the tornado warning for parts of Volusia County, including the area around the Daytona International Speedway.

"The safety of our race fans is always a primary concern. We have a detailed plan in place to monitor weather and if necessary, communicate to our fans," said Lenny Santiago, spokesman at Daytona International Speedway.

The race was stopped after 38 of the 200 laps were completed.

Fans tuning in on Fox Sports, however, were shown a replay of last year's race, causing some confusion.

Jimmie Johnson won in 2013, edging out Dale Earnhardt Jr. and a host of others down the stretch.

"I hear I won the #Daytona500? Haha! I also have friends confused and texting congratulations to me," he posted on his Twitter account.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

AlertMe