17-year-old critically injured in Arapahoe High School shooting; student gunman dead

Posted on: 12:59 pm, December 13, 2013, by , , , and , updated on: 07:52pm, December 15, 2013

pierson

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — A student with a shotgun walked into Arapahoe High School just before noon Friday, apparently targeting a staff member, and shot a fellow student before turning the gun on himself, sheriff’s deputies said.

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said the gunman, identified as 18-year-old Karl Halverson Pierson, entered the school from the western entrance and immediately asked for a teacher.

“He took himself away from the school in an effort to get the shooter away as well,” Robinson.

While the exact motive for the shooting is not yet known, Robinson said it appears the gunman wanted revenge against the teacher “because of a confrontation or a disagreement between the shooter and the teacher.”

For reasons that are still not clear, the gunman then opened fire, hitting one fellow student.

Robinson said the gunshot victim, 17-year-old Claire Davis, was taken to Littleton Adventist hospital in serious condition.  After surgery her condition worsened to critical condition.

Two teens were taken to Swedish Medical Center, where they were listed in good condition.Those victims suffered panic attacks and other non-physical problems, and one was released from the hospital about 5 p.m.

There was some confusion, as one victim had another person’s blood on her body, the sheriff said.

The suspected shooter, a senior, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound inside a classroom about 20 minutes later, Robinson said.

The gunman made no attempt to hide the shotgun while he was inside the school, Robinson said.

In addition to the shotgun, authorities found 2 explosives that Robinson described as Molotov cocktails. One of them had detonated inside the school, he said.  The second bomb had been safely contained.

Local and federal investigators gathered outside what is believed to be the shooter’s Highlands Ranch home Friday night where they waited for a search warrant before expanding their investigation there.

Some students told their parents that they heard as many as six gunshots fired inside the school.

Paramedics and police rushed to the school, which is located at the intersection of South University Boulevard and East Dry Creek Road.

Students are led out of Arapahoe High School during an active shooting situation on Dec. 13, 2013.

The school was then meticulously evacuated. Students were brought to the track field, searched and then bussed to Shepard of the Hills Church under armed guard.

Dozens of students could be seen walking away from the school, with their hands in the air. Some stood in lines at what appeared the high school track field, where they appeared to be undergoing police pat-downs.

Anxious parents rushed to the church looking for their son or daughter.

There are about 2,200 students at Arapahoe High School.  The school is just eight miles away from Columbine High School, the site of another tragic shooting that left 13 dead in 1999.

Gov. John Hickenlooper said Arapahoe High is part of a “good school district” that is now dealing with a the “all too familiar situation of gunshots, and parents running to the school and the horror.”

Students describe hearing gunfire, hiding

Student said they had been trained to move to corners of classrooms where they would not be visible.

Colton Powers said he heard gunfire while in his English class. His teacher turned off the lights and locked the door, Powers said.

Arapahoe High School shooting 10

Shocked students are reunited with their families at Shepard of the Hills Church.

“We ran to a corner so they couldn’t see us,” Powers said. “I’m just glad to be here with my mom.”

“It’s hard to see this happening again,” Powers’ mother said. “It’s a terrifying experience as a parent. This is the last thing you ever want to go through.”

“You think it’s a drill at the beginning,” said James Dalrymple. “It’s surreal.”

Ninth-grader Whitney Riley was getting ready to grab her computer from her locker when the shooting began.

“We were having fun and laughing and then, all of a sudden, we heard a really loud bang,” the 15-year-old said.

“My teacher asked what it was and then we heard two more and we all just got up and screamed and ran into a sprinkler system room.”

Area schools go on lockout

Multiple schools in the metro area were placed on lockdown or lockout after the shooting as a precaution.

All Littleton schools were placed on lockdown (meaning classes would be stopped) and that Cherry Creek and Elizabeth schools were placed on lockout (meaning doors were locked, but classes resumed as normal).

Douglas County School District said its schools had been placed on lockout, as well.

• Does It Matter says:

Sad… really really sad that we have to fear sending our children to school!!!!

• dreamer303 says:

why aren’t the news channels 31,7.4 and 9 breaking in and staying with the story? Please stop being a “nanny” and give the news!

• LOL @ dreamer… I agree.

• Karen says:

Its time for tighter security for people leaving and entering our schools! What about surveillance cameras, and sad to say maybe its time for metal detectors! :-(

• Karen says:

This should not keep happening!

• Rebekah says:

and everyone thought we were crazy in Thornton for keeping our kids home after a threat….smh

• dapandico says:

Another gun free zone. Did the teachers have the armored white boards to hide behind?

• Karen says:

Rebekah, I would have kept mine home as well…no doubt!

• Anon says:

Scanner Radio (phone app) covering this live. Suspect captured with explosive devices on him. Currently a bomb squad is finding a path for evacuation that is free of any explosives.

• Karen says:

I just don’t understand how these people or kids or whoever are getting into the schools with guns!

• DR Commish says:

To Karen… AND Armed Security. Liberals HATE Guns… but the only way to STOP a Bad Guy with a Gun…. Is a Good Guy with a Gun.
    The police can simply not be everywhere we might need them. With a “National Response Time” Average of 22 Minutes… And with the (seemingly increasing) number of evildoers that choose to do harm, We need to place “First Responders” at the sights of most concern.

• Or parents need to have a tighter leash on their kids. Where the hell do they get the guns? How do the parents not know something is wrong. There are to many shootings in Co now. Glad I moved to a diff state. I know this happens everywhere but it seems to be getting worse in Co

• Anon says:

Officers are doing an amazing job with communication and keeping everyone contained and safe.

• i thought it was a gun free zone?
    the last thing we need to do is turn it into a prison with metal detectors. we already live in a police state, school should be an escape from that…let teachers choose whether they want to carry or not

• This is exactly why schools are now starting to allow staff to carry concealed weapons. Someone has to be able to defend our students.

• my co-worker’s ex-wife makes $71 hourly on the computer. She has been out of work for nine months but last month her paycheck was $21619 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit this site right here…….http://Buzz29.com

• Lisa says:

It’s terrifying to be a kid in school these days!

• Lila says:

Karen, ever think that is isn’t the schools letting random people in the school? What if it’s a student who did this?

• Anne says:

Lockdown is not working. We need to rethink the response to these situations. Get the kids out of the school and to safety somewhere else. Break window with chairs, do what you have to do. If my child was in a threatening situation, I would want to know that every attempt was made to leave the premises.

• Anon says:

Swat teams and bomb squads securing exit routes from school now.

• Karen says:

I agree, they should be able to carry…and protect our kids and themselves! As long as we know they are sound individual!!

• Anon says:

Some exit routes have been cleared to evacuate students remaining inside. Further evacuations underway.

• Anon says:

Shooter is a student with a locker at the school. Locker is number 488.

• Anon says:

Another ambulance heading emergent to hospital from site now.

• Karen says:

I think even if its a student…how do they get into a school with a gun and explosives…there needs to be security at the schools at all times. If they have security at the malls, they should have them at the schools.

• Does It Matter says:

Stephen… I agree however… as a mother with 3 children in school… I would rather them have to go thru a metal detector and be a little safer … I would also like to have armed teacher in them as well…. I am terrified every time I hear of this kind of stuff…. thinking this could have been my children and the horrible stuff that must be going thru the minds of the parents that have children in that school and the heartache for the children hurt in these stupid acts of violence……

• Aaron Clark says:

It shouldn’t, liberals should stop leaving the schools unarmed and leaving a welcome mat at the doors of all schools saying ” you want to kill easy targets just come here, we promise there will be no armed resisitance” Im sure liberals are going to push for gun confiscation which would then leave guns in the hands of gangs who get them via blackmarket, but what really needs to happen is that people need to start looking at the psychotropic drugs that all these mass shooters have been PRESCRIBED TO THEM by a govt controlled/lobbiest pharmacies and controlled mental hospitals. Hospitals have armed guards and most buildings do….except schools?????? wake up liberals, also that would create jobs possibly for those returning military vets that still can’t find jobs returning back from serving this country.

• This is most likely a hoax to remind us of Sandy Hook and renew the push for gun control. If it is real, then why were there no armed guards at the school?

• AJ says:

“I thought it was a gun free zone.”??? Since when do criminals or the mentally ill and violent care about laws and gun free zones?

• Karen says:

Where would this child/kid get explosives and how did no one notice? We all still have to be on alert at all times..times will be forever changed at our schools, we can’t ever think this could not happen at our kids school.

• sarah says:

when I was going to high school, my friend and I were talking to their friend and he threaded our school. next morning my mom called the principle and told them I wont be in. next day was the parent /teacher conferences and one of my teacher asked me “why weren’t you in class yesterday”. I told him why and he never knew there was a potential threat. so I think that’s creepy to not tell ur staff that there was a threat so to be on the look out.it creepy now a days that’s why I think every one that is trained in fire arms should be able to carry one. especially the teachers.

• armed staff…end of discussion

• Anon says:

Rooms form the “C-wing” of building evacuating in orderly fashion now.

• Does It Matter says:

Amen Aaron….. Totally agree!!!

• Karen says:

I agree with you Aaron…lets put those vets who still long to protect out there to work!!

• Dan says:

I’m not sure if some of you guys are older or whatnot, but coming from a 23 year old, its not hard to purchase weapons. Everyone knows exactly who to go to if they need guns, and I live in a state where gun laws are more strict (Massachusetts). This should not be a surprise anymore, these horrible acts are becoming more and more common. It seems the only thing to do is allow the teachers to carry weapons, but whose to say one of the teachers wont go crazy and shoot our children too? I guess there is no easy answer. But as someone early said only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns. Just my 2 cents

• Anon says:

Each student is being “patted down” and interviewed upon exit of school before being released to leave. It’s scary that every student is also a potential suspect.

• Aaron Clark says:

And my prayers go out to the families who have kids there, stay strong!

Agreed Dan.

• Anon says:

One “witness” being transported via ambulance to Swedish Hospital.

• anon says:

gun free zone???? again when will the leaders of this country realize not having armed security will leave our defenseless kids open to be killed by these maniacs looking for attention.

• Anon says:

There are currently students/staff hiding in the kitchen awaiting rescue.

• Kevin Link says:

It is a shame when a church has more security than a school

• Karen says:

I have 3 children under 10 in school. At any given time of the day I can enter the school…but I have to show ID at the front desk. I am thinking any nut can walk into the school and start shooting…I don’t think they care about showing ID…do you??

• Paula says:

My grandson is in that High School…I just keep Praying…

• Mitch McConnell says:

What is it with Colorado and these devastating events? As previous comments have stated, it’s a “gun-free” zone. This means what exactly? It’s clear that this individual(s) was able to get a hold of a firearm and create havoc.

I hope whoever is responsible for this pays for their crime.

• Common Sense says:

Gun free zone means nothing to someone with a gun. Just like a no parking sign means nothinf to someone who parks there.

• Brewcity B says:

This is why gun free zones do not work all it does is let bad people know were to find victims who will not fight back.. I wish the anti gun crowd would just get it through there heads GUN FREE MEANS EASY TARGET

• Anne says:

Another point for online schooling. My granddaughter doesn’t get bullied and doesn’t have to worry about someone coming into her school with a weapon. Next my grandson will be attending the online school too. I know things can happen at home but a whole school wouldn’t be in danger.

• Anon says:

Squads preparing to open/search shooter’s locker.

• viva says:

Obama did it again!

• Karen says:

So is the shooter captured?

• Debbi Scott says:

Gunaman is an adult or student?? So glad Jeffco schools have finally gotten security cameras and you have to be let in to the building after ringing the bell and stating your intentions…

• Mitch McConnell says:

According to “Anon” who’s posting from a police scanner it would seem so, Karen.

• Brewcity B says:

It sounds bad but if your life is this bad reach out for help, If you want to kill yourself just do that why take others. Does life really mean that little to so many.

• Debbi Scott says:

Stop blaming the president! He didn’t pull the trigger!

• musicman60 says:

it has to be the violent vido games the kids are playing for hours on end

• Karen says:

Paula, I cannot imagine how you feel, I am so sorry!

• Aaron Clark says:

I would guess if they are at his locker then likely he is down, cause they would have an ID of the perp.

• Brittany says:

The shooter has been found! Dead but he was found.

• Brewcity B says:

Sure let’s keep blaming everything else video games really. I and lots of my friends have played these games for years and none of us have done this.. What we need to do is start making parents accountable for there children.. How many times will it take to get it through monitor your kids and what they are doing.

• Jay says:

Stop sensationalizing this!

Yes, it’s horrible, but we only bring this on ourselves when you all act like this.

• Karen says:

shooter is dead!!? thank goodness..at least now we dont have to pay for his trial to prove his innocence!! or his insanity!!

• Erik says:

Why are the the shooting in Richer neighborhoods? These rich kids need be afraid of their parents like the rest of us were!!!

• Anon says:

Multiple teams entering to escort all remaining students/staff from building now. Evacuations continuing soon.

• Herbert West says:

Impossible. Schools are gun-free zones.

• Anon says:

@Anne – There’s a reason for the lockdown. Kids and teachers running everywhere do 2 things. 1) More targets for the shooter. 2) The shooter can toss his gun and run around like a scared victim and escape.

• Wis writer says:

Musicman60 next you will blame the gun

• Herbert West says:

On average, nearly 200 people die every day due to drunk drivers.

• Momma Bear says:

High School security guards are not armed. Each High School should have an SRO assigned to it that is armed. Anyone who has been to a high school recently knows how impossilbe it would be to search each person/student for guns and explosives. It is not done at Malls, Large Venues like concerts and sporting events. If it were deemed neccessary, would people agree to their taxes being raised to pay for it? I doubt that it would pass a vote.

• Brittany says:

Ok. Just so you all know, I’m from Colorado and I’m about 10 miles from the school. The police are now searching the roof looking for how the shooter got into the building. Most of the students have been escorted from the building safety and parents are still trying to pick their children up from the school.

• Liberal Spasm says:

If Obama would have outlawed guns already, this wouldn’t have happened!

• bailey james says:

More guns = more deaths. PERIOD. There is a direct correlation between the excessive open gun policy in this country and repeated shootings of this sort. This kind of thing doesn’t happen on a regular basis in low gun-ownership countries.
    The crapola ignorant nonsense mentality that if we were all armed this kind of thing wouldn’t happen is just that – a myth, a lie. And to you gun Nazis, I’m not a liberal, so get over the fact that only liberals want to see stricter gun control.

• Wanderer says:

I went to school there!

• Alice says:

What the heck has happened to this world. I am so afraid for my 4 year old daughter and what she is going to have to face when she grows up! If she makes it? I grew up with guns in the house and I never thought about grabbing it and going off on the person that I just got in a fight with! You fight and move on. I am not saying that fighting is a good thing either but when it happened that is all that happened.

• Sean says:

Where are the police to prevent these shootings, that what we keep hearing “The police will protect us.” But, that isn’t their job. Their job is to investigate and enforce. The school districts need to start hiring armed security or allow the adults in these institution to begin or be required to carry.

• Nick says:

get the scanner radio app if you want to hear what is going on with the police

• j prime says:

Shooter was a student with a shotgun looking for a teacher, was confronted by another student and shot that student then minorly wounded another, then killed himself. No explosives like anon said.

• Russell Armor says:

So who stopped the shooter, and how?

• Anon says:

Bailey James, it’s not so bad. It’s nature weeding out the weak.

• Kidswass says:

Its Simple society perpetuates the cycle. Kids think its cool to be cruel. Kids think its cool to be a gangster. Intimidation is an American Hallmark! I don’t care if your a Republican or Democrat the fact is this is cool in most kids eyes and are sold a lie until its brother/sister laying down with a gunshot wound. Our government has the resources to prevent this or reverse the intimidation, but look how everyone is crying now. The lack of respect for others is sickening and being intellectual and responsible is not viewed as the cool thing. Education is your first line of defense.

Shooter confirmed dead.

• kevin says:

Hmmmm I see Banning tougher gun laws didn’t stop this from happening. Maybe We Should Focus on Metal Health. Bullying Of Kids. The List Could go on.

• Wis writer says:

Liberal Spasm Most gun crimes are committed by people who have gotten there gun illegally ban guns takes guns out of good peoples hands JUST LIKE GUN FREE ZONES…………………

• Anon says:

Danger appears to be over.

• Georged says:

Where liberals rule chaos and mayhem follow.

• Obviously he went in searching for a teacher, according to witnesses, so if this was due to a failing grade, then bad grades should be banned. Teachers should only allow to give students A grades, regardless of performance, so the student isn’t humiliated, and resorts to this type of behavior! Poor grades are the lowest form of bullying that teachers use to abuse their students, IMO!

• Anon says:

The student was looking for a specific teacher. When the teacher heard he was being looked for and that the student was armed. When the student heard the teacher was gone he opened fire on the surrounding students in his surrounding area.

• Wis Writer, if ALL guns were banned, legal or illegal, then these shootings would end! Ban knives too!

• Nick says:

@anon what radio are you on that you are hearing from the scanner?

• Holly Shepard says:

Armed teachers, not all of them, but a few that are comfortable with it and are trained would be a good idea. And the likelihood of a teacher going crazy and shooting the school is about slim to none. You have extensive background checks to be a teacher, and while training in college the professors have to mark “dispositions” that indicate your moral character and mental health. Crazy people don’t make it very far in the program. Also, I am pretty liberal on most issues but I think gun control measures don’t really help. Criminals will get them regardless of laws, we need to arm the right people who are of sound mind and can protect our children.

• The grade system, A B C D F is a form of capitalism, to reward children of wealthy parents, and should be banned completely. If giving all students A grades saves just one life; wouldn’t it be worth it?

• Wis writer says:

Liberal Spasm who knows it may come to that just like not telling kids winner and losers early on teaches kids how not to take failing, the modern day now focus on everybody being the same no one should be the evil rich and you should have to work hard to get ahead just like the head up him bottom president take care of us that is what is wrong with kids today TOO SOFT CAN’T TAKE FAILING

• Anon says:

Simple app available in Google Play Store called “Scanner Radio”

• Nick says:

i kind knew what the shooter was thinking. I am at TRHS and i am not doing so well in a class and i dont like that teacher very much but not enough to take their life. Some kids just need to think about what harm this could do to others.

• Riley says:

How about you all stop arguing about gun rights and save that until we make sure everyone is alright.

• gamckee says:

Liberal Spasm stop being such a troll.

• This will definitely effect property values in this rich snobby soccer mommy suburbia. Why don’t we see this type of thing in Obama voter districts, like Montbello?

• eddie says:

Why not start praying? I’m sure it would work.

• Wis writer says:

Liberals don’t understand the real world, come down from cloud nine and welcome back to the real word..

• gamckee, does it make you feel better about yourself when you bully me and call me names? Maybe that’s the problem here; someone was bullied until they snapped. I hope you’re proud.

• Nick says:

are you people really fighting in the chat when kids lives are in danger. wow. how about this messed up country

• Don says:

how about you gun owners keeping your guns out of kids hands, the parents and or the gun owners should go to jail….

• The community should suspend the current grading system, and ban B C D and F grades until the President makes all guns illegal. These kids show up to school, so they deserve A grades. Some are born smarter than others, but that’s no reason to humiliate them with low grades.

• landensneenee says:

Praying for all the families!

• The Truth says:

Statistically, how many parents actually involve themselves in their children’s lives regardless of age? Census says a majority of so called ‘parents’ are deadbeats from the start. And how easy is it for a child regardless of age to find a gun laying around in their house? EASY.
    It’s unfortunate that this pattern of behavior will only get worse and we have little control of what we ‘responsible parents’ can control.

• Don says:

irresponsible gun owners should have all weapons locked in a safe that only they can access and their children living there should not.

• Mycroft says:

How about we all step back and stop whining. In the 1930′s was the first student on student shooting that I am aware of. ! student killed.

In the 1970′s Hartford High School had metal detectors at the doors, and armed police roving the halls.

• Wis writer says:

Not that bully is good or right but America has always bullied, the difference now is people do know how to control them self’s. I was bullied all through school and did not go and shoot the place up, I got into fights not that that is right answer but no dies you punch each other until broken up and it’s over. Maybe we should all take a step back and relax this shooting is bad but let this be a teaching moment and teach kids self control and that just because you get a bad grade does not make who you are and can make you stronger and want to try heard next time.

• Laura says:

As a liberal I do not agree with taking away guns especially from these “good guys”. Hush and stop blaming us, we dont all think the same. Schools should definitely start having metal detectors, I went through them in elementary, middle and high school in Jersey and so are my kids. Feels a lot safer. I know teachers have a hell of a lot of stress so a teacher with a gun CAN be a scary thought.

Prayers go out to the victims. This shouldn’t be happening. May God bless all the families currently grieving.

• Don says:

I work at a school where the students come in every morning during hunting season talking about what they killed the day before. They all have their own weapons. The parents of these children should go to jail if these weapons are used in any crime. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere in the woods with these kids when they are armed, and these are the supposedly not mentally ill and normal hunter types. I just sit and listen as the tell tales of stupidity out in the woods, all the while laughing…..

• gamckee says:

Web definitions
    In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response …

@ Liberal Spasm – You’re doing this while two students have been injured, one critically, and a third student (alleged shooter) is dead. Stop.

• Anon says:

Student was shot when he confronted another student wielding a shotgun.

“Hey man, put down the gun. It’s all going to be ok.”

“…”

*BLAM*

Darwanism at its best. See, had the first student snuck up and bashed in the head of the perpetrator instead of trying to talk him down, he’d still be breathing out of his nose instead of the holes in his chest.

• Don says:

A shooter with a gun can run right through a metal detector…..

• Wis writer says:

Anon that is the most insensitive comment EVER, use some common sense.. MAYBE SELF CONTROL ?

• Magdalena says:

liberal spasm… please stop commenting!! good grades are achieved through hard work. Anyone can get an A if they try hard enough. Most, NOT ALL, children who struggle with grades just don’t try hard enough. The BIGGEST problem of all is parents not caring enough about their children to help them and guide them through life. If a kid feels the only option in life is to go shoot a teacher and their piers, for whatever reason, then that kid unfortunately has no one to show them other alternatives to solving their problems. Schools and communities need to develop better support systems for kids. There isn’t much like that anymore. Only prescription drugs to cause a child to act like an adult.

• AHS ALUMN says:

There is at least one City of Centennial/Arapahoe County Sheriff in the school at all times. The shooter came in from the west side of the school. The Warrior nation is in mourning.

• Robin Tessier says:

I don’t know if there is an answer, definitely. Employing vets sounds good, until you consider the prevalence of PTSD. How would one avoid a vet with that affliction, for certain? Then, we run the risk of scaring the children to see a man in uniform with a big gun. There may be some nuts who go for ‘soft’ targets; there are other nuts who go for trying to disarm and ‘best’ someone who already is armed. Ever read about police officers being disarmed? The sharpshooter Navy Seal who was shot and killed in civilian life at a gun range? 1. Even if you arm teachers, how do you know a teacher won’t lose control? Or, even more real, a student won’t find the teacher’s gun? What then? If kids are finding and getting their parents’ guns, they sure can get one out of the teacher’s desk. 2. How much ‘notice’ does a deranged student or adult give? Is the teacher supposed to have the gun at the ready every minute? This is what I mean by no definitive, 100% answer. 3. Know your children. Know what they are doing and know when they need to be hospitalized for emotional/mental disturbances. Don’t stick your head in the sand, parents. Trust your gut. If your gut is telling you that your child is behaving in an angry or rage-like, sadistic, cruel manner, and surrounding him/herself with violent movies, TV, video games, then that child needs immediate help. Search their bedrooms. Find out what they’re reading online and in books. This is a family and societal breakdown issue, it’s not a let’s slam the opposing political party issue. I’m sure there are ‘libs’ and ‘conservatives’, both, in prisons everywhere.

• clownrodeo says:

Glad to see the new progressive gun laws and the sign that clearly says “GUN FREE ZONE” worked so well here again

• C Lo says:

bailey james says:
    December 13, 2013 at 1:58 pm

_______________
    It didn’t happen here in a “high gun ownership country” until a few years ago. Ironically as the gun ownership in households was DECLINING.
    Notice today was done with a firearm that was NOT affected by the bass ackward laws passed earlier this year. Further proof that laws don’t prevent crime. Botom line is that this was someone with a grudge against someone else (apparently) and just so happened to be at a school. What if he (I’m assuming it’s a “he”) to the shopping mall or the teacher’s home, would we have the same response, or is it just because of the setting?

• Magdalena says:

well said robin!

• Rick says:

To those that believe metal detectors are the answer: Please explain to me how detection will stop a psychopath with a gun?

• C Lo says:

Don says:
    December 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

__________________
    I don’t disagree, but how do you know at this point that the student wasn’t in “lawful” ownership of the gun. 18 year olds can purchase a long gun/shotgun, and most kids turn 18 while still in High School. Maybe this wasn’t the parents’ “fault.”

• kimberley walker says:

my sisters where in this school and I don’t think that arguing will solve any thing.

• Rick Ellington says:

obummers numbers tank he in trouble politically so guess what another school shooting and yes if you are for more gun control you are a liberal no matter what you think or say!!!

• clownrodeo says:

Robin nice post but do you realize how many people every day carry a gun? If most of your points are true how come the police aren’t just shooting people all the time or all of the cwp holders just in this state alone. When you train to carry you are taught that a gun only belongs in 2 places, on you or locked up. So either the teacher has the gun concealed on them or locked up in a safe at the desk

• gamckee, you’re very good at calling me names while hiding behind your computer monitor. A “troll” is a height and beauty challenged individual born with ugly genetics, so thanks for that! I doubt you would have the courage to do this in real life, like for example I doubt you’d repeatedly call a postal worker a ‘troll’ to their face. I hope it makes you feel big and strong to pick on me and call me a “troll” just for having an opinion!

• chip spinner says:

This is bad news…but it plays out in lesser forms in the halls and classrooms of secondary schools all over the country…every minute of every day…We deal with it…

• Ali says:

Twisted thinking equals twisted actions.

• Rick says:

Man I posted and it didn’t show up. Robin, you are right about the kids, but your logic about the rest is off.

1. It is very difficult to disarm someone. A teenager is not going to disarm a trained adult.

2. Concealed carry is just that; the firearm would be concealed on the teacher’s person.

3. Gun ownership as skyrocketed. Violent crime is on a decline, albeit not always steady, since 1993.

4. All of the rampages occur in “gun-free zones” where no one can protect themselves. The only way to eliminate a threat is to meet it with equal or greater force.

5. Teachers with guns “losing control” is a little ridiculous. Yeah it could happen, but why aren;t they losing control all the time now then?

6. Shall issue approaches to concealed carry permits are up to 37 states now from 8 in 1983. More people are carrying guns. Law-abiding citizens do not commit crimes.

I suggest reading about the Pearl High School shooting. The gunman was on his way to another school and was shot and killed by an administrator with a .45. Guns are not the problem. The fact that legislation is in place that makes it impossible for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and others is.

• Hank Kolb says:

Another kid with a gun that wasn’t locked up properly?

• R says:

When a drunk driver kills someone do you blame the car?!?! Then why are liberals so quick to blame guns after something terrible like this happens. Think about it guns dont kill people, people kill people!! And yes the only way to stop a bad guy with gun is a good guy with a gun, no law could ever stop a person intent on causing harm!!!

• sly311 says:

Once again it’s going to be guns. I wonder what kind of drugs (or lack thereof) this loon had in his system. Once again bad security in our schools. Oh and Bailey James, you’re an idiot.

• Jenni says:

Praying for all involved. I hope the police have the common sense to NEVER release the name of the teacher that the shooter was looking for.

• kimberley walker says:

not really its almost imposible!!! I know lots of friends who are intent on harming them selfs and their is honestly nothing I can do about it!! any ideas?

• kimberley walker says:

and I pray for every one who had seen this. my sister is broken!!

• Bonanza Babe says:

Here’s a novel idea for cutting down on school violence – raise children to respect God, parents and authority so that they will understand that there are severe consequences for bad behavior. i know all the atheists don’t want to hear that, but it’s true…
    If this gunman really believed that there would be eternal consequences for murder, he would probably have never thought about trying to kill someone else, much less himself…

• unicornonfire3 says:

I don’t disagree. its really bad out there!

• clownrodeo says:

How do you people know this gun wasn’t locked up and wa someone else’s gun? You only have to be 18 to BUY a shotgun, could have been his own. Also Colorado does NOT have a age limit for possession of a rifle or shotgun only hand guns and that is 18 as well, but you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun or hand gun ammo.

• unicornonfire3 says:

STINE!!! There are a lot of decent white kids including me!!!!

• Codswallop says:

I think this is all about a total lack of discipline in the schools and in many families.
    Why didn’t this sort of thing happen in the 1940s and 1950s?

• claretaqoe150 says:

my best friend’s mother-in-law makes $85 hourly on the laptop. She has been fired for seven months but last month her check was $13803 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit the website……….. http://tiny.tw/3eqr

• Liza Martinez says:

What happened today is really sad, but there’s one thing that people need to look at this is the third school shooting in Littleton Colorado. Columbine, Dear Creek, Arapahoe High School. What is going on with these poor kids. Whats even more sickening is that I saw a banner on the bottom of the news saying you will realease the name shortly. What the hell is the matter with you. Yes what this kid did was wrong. His parents just lost their son. Why do you need to rub salt in their wound? You really need to give out the name of their son and publicly humiliate them when they just found out. their son is dead? What is wrong with you. You should be ashamed of yourself Fox 31 news. This is sad all around not just for the victims. Imagine i

• clownrodeo says:

1764 was the first school massacre. Try again

• Lisa says:

As long as there are guns, there will be shootings. As long as there are knives, there will be stabbings. As long as we continue to ban God from everything, we will have problems! Some of our officials might want to consider this!

• Evan says:

The moral of the story seems to be if you leave the situation you are safe…..Especially if you are who prompted the situation!

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said the gunman entered the school from the western entrance and asked for a teacher immediately. When the teacher heard the student was looking for him, he left the school — an act Robinson said was “tactically the most important decision he could have made.”

Really? Did he make his exit known as a purposeful attempt to draw the gunman away? Right! And Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Obama have teamed up to bring us even more goodies this year!

• jzybn says:

Liberal Spasm, are you for real? Give everyone an A for showing up? Grades are for rich kids? My kids got straight A’s and put themselves through college on scholarship and we aren’t rich for sure. What’s next give people jobs and pay them even if they show up but don’t do any work. You really are being ridiculous. I beg everyone to please ignore any future comments from LS. They seem like they are just attention seeking jibberish.

• Bob M says:

With all due respect to the victims and parents in this irrefutable tragedy, so-called school shootings are statistically irrelevant in terms of the overall levels of violent crime in America. A vast majority of violent gun crimes are committed by ethnic, urban gang members using illegal firearms. Thus, restrictions on lawful gun owners have proven to be ineffective.

• In response to Ken and school security… schools ARE upping security and have come a long way since my freshman year of school when Columbine happened. Back then I could come and go as I pleased and kids from other schools would come over for lunch and off periods with friends. This year my daughters school put in a system where the doors are locked at all time and a security camera was put in and you must press a button and have verbal and physical communication with those in the front office. You need to state what you are coming into the school for and the door does not become unlocked until such communication is made. I feel that makes it a lot safer, at least from outside sources. But again… kids still bring weapons to school. I am not sure metal detectors are the answer… yes it can help some but if a student or community member means to do damage metal detectors won’t help them. We need education about mental health, bullying, support for teachers and students with all facets of the problems we face in society today. Stopping the problems which emerge at the source is what we need… be PROactive not REactive. Metal detectors are only a reactive response.. proactively we need to help the mental welfare of those who are in trouble.

• lily munster says:

Blame anything you want, I think it starts at home – how you learn to deal or NOT deal with your emotions.

• Gail says:

Hey, Hey NRA. How many kids did you kill today?
    From a Littleton, CO resident…..

• lily munster says:

Liberal Spasm is right wingnut trying to get a liberal bashing going. How clever. Someone to ignore, folks.

• SS says:

Thank you jzybn. I couldn’t believe that someone would be posting about getting rid of the grading system. There has to be some sort of scoring system for schools. I was also a straight A student, and still am as I am putting myself through nursing school. I am by no means rich, in fact, I live from pay check to pay check just like so many. I have studied my butt off and worked extra hard for my grades.

• stine says:

white kids kill kids at school us mexicans kill eachother and blacks kill chicken wings

• Daniel says:

I am a gun owner and support the 2nd Amendment, but I understand this country has a GUN Problem. This analogy is non-responsive as the social utility of guns and cars differ in orders of magnitude. The fundamental purpose of a car, at its most basic level, is to convey someone from point A to point B. The purpose of a gun, on the other hand, is to inflict a significant amount of damage on whatever or whomever the gun is aimed at once the trigger is pulled. This is true regardless of whether a gun is used for self-defense, hunting, recreation, or murder. Although a life is a life, killing somebody by accident is not the same as killing somebody on purpose. Except in rare circumstances, killing somebody with a car is an accident. Even when intoxicated, the driver’s intent is not to harm another person. When a shooter fires his or her weapon at another person, whether it be in self-defense or not, the intent is to seriously injure or kill the target. Although gun accidents do happen, they result in a distinct minority of the casualties from gun violence (and we support regulation that minimizes the frequency and severity of gun accidents when they do happen). Guns are weapons, cars are a mode of transportation. There is a significant difference. This line of argument also ignores that the only gun ban currently being proposed is on assault rifles, and that there are many effective regulations other than bans to stem gun violence.

• mike says:

Teacher threatened! Teacher bugs-out–abandons kids! Teacher saves own pedagogue butt! Tough luck about expendable kid! Unionized teachers take grim satisfaction–gun free zones and teachers’ “zero”-tolerance of jelly-sandwiches chewed into the shape of hand-guns vindicated. Gun-control, hype-exploitation phase a “go!”.

But most importantly, Americans-who-get-it spared the spectacle of threatened teacher whipping out a firearm, himself, standing his ground, and protecting the kids, while other armed teachers in the immediate area converge on the scene and stop attacker without any other kids being hurt. Bad “optics”, that. Bad for “agenda”. Bad for “narrative”. Hell with the kids!

• Sammy says:

This is a abousltlly crazy how much this has been happing
    we need to take action and make sure that this dosnt happen again. One dead one in crital condetion and other should be realsed to night. Why i dont know but all of my prayers and thoughts go to them. This needs to end we need to figure out a sloution to these problems. I almost feel its or falut because last time this happend we thought its fine just have sheriffs walk around but we need armed sherrifs only let people in with a full check though. I feel we need to take aotion. I pray for the people who passed on friday the 13th……………….
    Amen

• j says:

Nice to see all the new gun laws preventing more senseless violence.

• j says:

@GAIL. How is this the NRA’s fault? He was a minor using a shotgun. Law broken. Using a shotgun in a “gun free” school. Law broken again. Laws don’t help, criminals don’t abide by the law. So don’t blame the gun, blame the user.

• Another Gun Free Zone, how’s that working for You ANTI Gun Idiots.

• tammy says:

How do you NOT NOTICE someone with a giant SHOTGUN walking through the entrance of the school?

• Bryan says:

What are teachers doing to students to cause this????? Please leave the children alone!!

• clownrodeo says:

Hey Gail how many people died in cars today? Low I.Q. much or what. When was the last time a NRA member or CWP holder did a crime like this? Make more laws and “GUN FREE ZONES” it’s helping so much

• sorry in AZ says:

If there were armed guards (like at a bank) then this wouldn’t have happened, or at least it would have been a lot harder to shoot two fellow students. Why do we guard worthless money with armed guards and not our precious children? Oh, pass another law, that stopped the drugs and bullying so well.

• Don says:

to C lo yes kids can legally buy long guns and legally own, but if they are living in their parents house, the parents are still responsible.

• Don says:

To everyone that believes another armed person would have stopped this: we have armed police in school already, even they would have been too late because they cant be everywhere all at once. I believe there was a policeman in the building. maybe you should just arm everyone, just like the wild west..

• Fast45 says:

Gotta be a fake news story, purported by liars who don’t know the facts … After all, Hickenlooper and cronies just passed more gun control laws. How can there possibly be more gun crime, after the Dems have passed more new laws? More gun-free zones protect us all, right? When will the crooks ‘get it’ that laws are to be obeyed?

• Don says:

mike your an idiot, how do you know any students were abandoned, perhaps the teacher was told to take off to try to diffuse the situation. Try working in a high school before you judge anyone

• Mad in Texas says:

Sorry, I do not understand how this could have happened. Colorado just passed some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. The gun laws they passed were supoposed to prevent this from happening.

So much for restricive gun control. We have been telling people for years that gun laws do not work and can cost lives. Let’s pass some restrictive ciminal laws and get these idiots off of the streets.

• lily munster says:

A classmate said that the targeted teacher was the librarian and the student had recently gotten penalized from the speech/debate team by this librarian

• 2nd amend supporter says:

Colorado is really messed up with all the liberals, pot heads, etc. Here comes more talk about gun control. democraps are going to have a field day with this, wait and see.

• mike says:

Don,

Yr: “mike your [sic] an idiot…”

Well, Don, if I did “work in a high school”, I’d make a point to give you a little lesson about the fine distinction that exists between “your” and “you’re”.

“Diffuse the situation” by having a teacher abandon the kids to the whims of an armed, clearly deranged intruder–who then goes on to shoot two of the school children? This makes sense to you, Don? And I’m the “idiot”?

Or maybe the “situation” could have been better “diffused” (you have a real facility with euphemisms, there, Don) had the teacher, targeted by the gunman, simply presented himself to the same and taken his chances. And being in a library, a quick-thinking, threatened teacher might even have picked up hand-fulls of books and pitched them at the gunman– it being hard for a shooter to aim, even with a shotgun, amidst a shower of hard-back tomes, bouncing off his head. Tough option on the teacher, yes, but a better deal for the kids.

Of course, best of all, I would recommend, would have been for the threatened teacher and a swarm of other armed teachers to have immediately engaged and eliminated the threat? But, perhaps, I’m just being an “idiot” again. I mean, like, I’ve never “worked in a high school”–though I did attend a high school for four years. And my high school teachers were, in the main, WWII and Korean War vets, who would have gone down, fighting to the death, before they would have abandoned us kids to a lunatic gunman. But perhaps times have changed, Don, and so it may be that I’m a little too hard–”judgmental” would you call it, Don?–on today’s bug-out teachers and their love-affair with gun-free zones and their child-abuse “zero-tolerance” for kids who chew their jelly-sandwiches into the shape of hand-guns.

• I Know My Rights says:

I am appalled by the actions the police officers took- searching the students was completely unnecessary and against their rights.

I understand that this is a tragedy, don’t get me wrong; but lining up the other students was not only against their rights, but also could have led to a massacre if another student was in on the plan, waiting for the students to exit.

The government needs to rethink options and plans on how to handle these situations in a more productive manner.

- I am a strong supporter of guns, and believe that the 2nd amendment is what our country was founded on.

• I Know My Rights says:

Also, more of a reason for less gun control. Imagine if their was an on campus armed security guard…

• Lily Munster, in my opinion your information is so valuable to finding the motive of this student who might have been unfairly bullied with low grades. Its not just the ‘silver tongued’ students that should receive an A in speech/debate because they might not even have to try to get an A. I certainly didn’t have to try to get an A in English, but noticed that English students with low grades were putting much more effort than I was, yet I did have a weakness in speech class.

A student with Glossophobia might be trying 100 times harder to deal with the stress of public speaking, but studder, freeze and lose focus from the anxiety, and then receive a lower grade than the gifted student who does not try at all, and gets an A. Grades are a capitalistic punitive reward system that does not realize that a society is only as healthy as the sickest of us.

Lets not rush to judgement here as to the guilt of this student who might have taken his own life due to what he perceived as public humiliation by a person in a position of authority, in front of his peers. Glossophobia is a real condition, and should be understood with compassion and encouragement by ‘judges’ who’s quick opinions can destroy the confidence of a young person and drive them into darkness, depression, or worse…

I got an A in English writing, but an F in public speech, so I can totally relate. I hated my speech teacher for humiliating me with low grades. Fortunately there was no shotgun in my home when I was a freshman in HS, and I thankfully learned the 10 commandments in church. I just took my lumps and limped through high school, emotionally wounded forever by my speech teacher.

Until we find out exactly what happened to make this child snap, lets stop calling him a “gunMAN”. This student was a child, and in need of counseling, apparently with no professionals trained properly to recognize his agony, shame and embarrassment that may have been the catalyst which drove him over the edge? RIP gunchild.

• Karl Pierson has been identified as the shooter at Arapahoe High School, he was a member of the school’s debate team.

• Tom says:

How can so many people be so stupid? THIS – DID – NOT – HAPPEN.

• chrisbb says:

So what is going on in Colorado? Seriously the problem is not the gun laws or the kids themselves but the parents.
    Parents these days need to get their heads out of their butts and pay more attention to the children, parents need to take an apparent roll in their children’s lives and stop relaying on schools and others to monitor and maintain their children’s emotional behavior.
    I was raised in the late 70′s and 80′s and my parents along with most of my friend parents were all about knowing us and what we were doing and involving themselves in our life’s in a positive way.
    Today parents are more about “if it is not a problem then I do not care” only when it becomes a problem do they step up and say something or get concerned by then it is too late.
    Very sad.

• First of all remember that this young man has parents that are most likely devastated by this whole thing. You can’t blame the parents for not locking up the gun because we don’t know that it came from his home. Next.. yes they say he was going after a specific teacher but we do NOT know that it was over a bad grade. It couldn’t have been other things. With all the horrible things going on in this world how do we know it wasn’t something else. Then again… look at the teacher’s side. Maybe he/she has been traumatized by this whole situation. She has to fear for her life too. Guns in the school still doesn’t make it right. I don’t believe that having armed teachers are going to solve this problem.

• Bobbb says:

Newtown anniversary: US schools keep trying wrong fixes to deter school shootings, experts say

By Bill Dedman, Investigative Reporter, NBC News
    12/11/2013 10:53:34 PM 16 hours ago

That is if you really want to talk about Newtown. If you just want another excuse to knock on guns-Sorry, guns have been the guarantor of democracy since democracy began.

• chrisbb says:

(First of all remember that this young man has parents that are most likely devastated by this whole thing.)

NOW their devastated? This young man did not just wake up and decide that he wanted to take a gun to school and start shooting, this is something that has been building for sometime.
    Parents today need to take a more active roll in there children’s life’s period. Supporting your children in their endeavors like sports and grades and future plans are one thing.
    Parents today need to spend real time having one on one talking about everyday problems gaining their children’s trust and respect.

• Rob says:

So a bunch of you are missing it all. The fact of the matter is that this student was 18 years old. He could legally own his own fire arm. It does not matter where the gun came from. You get someone so bent on hurting others they will get the job done. Be it stolen from home a neighbor, bought from a gang, given by the government, stolen from a police car etc.

This was not some kid. This was an 18 year old man. The same man who could have enlisted and been carrying a scary black gun this year.

On the fl side there is something to be said for arming school staff. Concealed carry works to decrease crime. End of story no if ands or butts about it. Just think about the recent vet who was killed in one of the latest school shootings. He had all the training knowledge and skill but was forced by policy to not carry. This made him a helpless target who have his live up to save others. Had he been armed he would of had a very real chance to live.

• Rob says:

Don,

What a disservice you are to the teaching and educational process. You can take your anti gun attitude out of our state at any time. You seem to judge students because they are hunters. Act as if they are somehow below those other students who do not hunt or at least admit to hunting. Hunting is growing in the US. Do you judge all students the same way through the same narrow minded in accepting manner? Kids who like acting as a hobby, or singing, or fast cars,or…. Get the point your narrow minded ness and obvious dislike of your students should not and would not be tolerated in my school.

Simply put it is not the guns, it is not the parents, it is the person. This individual made a decision to commit an evil crime. The blame for this act is squarely on that persons shoulders. It is not the games, not the games he played, the the bullies, not the teacher, not the parents, not the gun maker, not the grocery store clerk, but him. This 18 year old man made a decision to commit murder. Plain and simple!

• clownrodeo says:

Don

This was a man not a kid (he was 18 by law an adult) his parents have no legal authority of him. Please continue to show that people like you need to be far away from any children, let alone in school with them. Try again

• Rodeo blow up doll says:

clownrodeo, I’m sensing a pattern here..

Do you kinda blame the teacher for ruining Pierson’s air force career?

• clownrodeo says:

No not at all I blame him. He was a weak coward who loaded a gun on his own and walked into a building where no one would shoot back at him and shot a teen age girl. Cause he couldn’t deal with his pathetic little life or debate team. Then made the ultimate coward move and shot himself. No laws or his parents could have changed that, it’s that simple

• Liberal Spasm says:

clownrodeo, would you support giving all high school students a suicide-kit that would encourage them to end their own lives before taking the lives of others; instead of expecting the school district, and taxpayers to recognize mental illness and intervene?

• clownrodeo says:

What evidence do you have that he was mentally ill? How is that a factor in this case, do you have is medical records?

• clownrodeo, thanks for making my point, and yes if the Colorado legislature agreed it was legal, I would volunteer the overnight kit to you along with an HD recorder to youtube the whole event in color. I respect your right to eat a shotgun, if you so choose.

• clownrodeo says:

Wow man put the joint down and you might make some sense and be able to have a logical comment to make instead of just childish remarks and nonsense. Oh and try changing your avatar before trying to post as two people, gives you a little more credibility

• urMomLovdit says:

ride that bull, brokeback!

• urMomLovdit says:

clownrodeo, that’s a good boy; don’t talk with your mouth full

• seriously WTF says:

“After the shooting, the school resource officer activated what police call the active shooter protocol — rushing toward the gunfire to stop the violence.”

-Now that’s a special kind of stupid.

• my buddy’s mother makes $77/hr on the laptop. She has been fired from work for 9 months but last month her check was $13975 just working on the laptop for a few hours. straight from the source…………………… T­ec­9­0.C­o­m

• My girlfriend’s Grandmother is a hot Gilf

• seriously WTF says:

IMHO this carnage started 20 years ago not because it hadn’t happened before, but because students used to have a sense of community and take immediate action. They mobbed around the victim and his attacker to watch the spectacle and see who won, enforcing rules of engagement and keeping idiots (teachers and administrators) out of harm’s way. Rarely did they show up and escalate things, both attacker and victim knew better than to throw fuel on the fire by giving them traction. The two were usually “just horsing around.”

Video surveillance, cellphone use, and the Internet struck, allowing lawyers, Old Willy was right, to slow such spectacles making them extremely dangerous.

Example: In the ’70′s a student drug dealer and fellow student asked to see my hunting knife. I let him. He put the knife to my throat and demanded my wallet containing money I EARNED. I attacked him. He ran into the fishbowl brandishing my knife. I disarmed him with Judo taught to ALL students there. The event took less than three SECONDS from start to finish and nobody, including the drug dealer, got hurt. Our principal addressed me a MINUTE later when he learned of the event saying, “you shouldn’t have done that.” I replied, “It’s my fault he had the knife. He asked if he could see it and I let him.” He said, “Oh.”

And that was the end of that. No casualties, not police, no reporters, no lawyers, none of it. His parents shipped him off with an uncle to save his life from fellow students. It seemed to straighten him out. Back then we knew better than to think anybody was going to save our lives. Because they weren’t. And they still can’t…

• Start at says:

Teach kids how to lose gracefully. Period.
    This comes from poor parenting…not guns.

• ewade says:

Hey Bailey James, the cities with the most gun laws have the most gun deaths. Get that through your thick liberal head dumbass.

• blongj3 says:

“[The targeted teacher] knew he was the target and he left that school in an effort to try to encourage the shooter to also leave the school,” the sheriff said.

Maybe. But maybe he was just getting the hell out of dodge.

• blongj3 says:

Start At: Amen. Bad parenting AND bad teaching.

• Tom Sanders says:

As usual we have to have 500 stories about it in 2 days with everyone examining every detail and concluding this and that….stop …there is a corrupt government around us that needs attention and your corrupt media is sidetracking you.

• Fast45 says:

Maybe if we’d have posted more signs saying “Gun Free Zone” … maybe if we heaped even MORE laws, on top of all the existing laws about murder … and of course, if we simply pass even MORE gun laws … then the loser would have stopped. Right, Hickenlooper and Bloomberg?

• It would be interesting to know if Pierson was on or recently off Anti-Depressants or SSRI’s.

• Tony Bgood says:

Bailey James

You said your not a liberal, you may not be. You’re just a dope!

• What is disturbing is the Denver Post’s significant lack of distinguishing the “political ” beliefs reported when it was clear that shooters have been/were registered democrats and liberals.

Liberals.. never let a good tragedy go to waste. Stop making gun free zones so our kids get shot up.

SROs sure don’t help.. this guy WAITED until the shooting stopped and then started a protocol..

• Cheboy says:

A terrible tragedy
    our prayers are with those effected
    This is another result of progressive mandates.
    Gun free zones are only for the the bad guys
    Why not take down the gun free zones and do what other schools are doing, allowing teachers to conceal carry with proper training of course.
    One guard at the opposite end of the building gets there to late.
    How many kids do we have to loose before the left wingers get some common sense?
    I’ll bet if it happened to a board members kid it would be different.
    How about praying for some guidance in this matter?

• Why do these always turn into god talk. Who cares what people believe in!!! If you believe in a god pray for the bad. If you don’t, like me just hope this doesn’t happen to your kids or family. Don’t try to make people think their doing something wrong by not believing in something that quit possibly may not exist

• Erich Fenton says:

How many of these school shooters are without their father in the home? Lanza is one (Sandy Hook). The media ignores this statistic, but I believe the majority of them grew up without a father.

• David343 says:

Why is the news media scrubbing the reports that this young man is described by classmates as an “opinionated socialist”? It ought to be illegal for liberals to own guns, they just aren’t stable enough for that responsibility.

• Scott says:

Dead socialist. Everybody wins!!!

• Zarus says:

About 15 years ago I had accepted a consultant position with MCI in Colorado Springs, my daughter at that time was in 6′th grade. The first day at school my daughter came home from school, she had been threatened, sexually , verbally assaulted. The situation was very serious. The next day I went to the school and spoke with the principal who proceeded to defend his precious school, his position. That day , my daughter called me from school, frightened and in tears. I did not send my daughter back to that hell hole, made certain the principal of that “school” knew what my position was. I was then harassed by the “school staff”, received threatening letters which demanded that I send my child back to their school of young criminals or they would sic CPS on me and my child would be taken from me. I ignored them, relocated to a lower income area of the city , a smaller school , the school , it’s staff and the children were normal , all behaving as one would expect. 6′th graders behaving like 6′th graders, not sexual perverts, teachers and admin staff behaving like one would expect. Lol! The other school continued to send threatening letters to me, claiming that my child would be taken from me, for 3 months these fools did this. The difference between the 2 schools? The school of criminals was located in area infested with libs, the school of sanity was located in a area that was conservative. Why one would ask does that make a such a difference, because, no matter their income level, conservatives have morals, ethics and values. Conservatives do not condone nor excuse criminal behavior.

• CA0646 says:

Don’t look for a motive.
    Look for the cause – bad parenting
    I grew up with guns in the home and attentive parents.

What is an “armed school resource officer”
    – would this be an armed citizen . . . .
    – certainly NOT a police officer otherwise you would have said so.

Over in seconds with an armed citizen.
    Over in minutes after the police lock everyone inside.

• Zarus says:

Without a doubt CA. I wonder though , is it bad parenting or a crumbling society which led to bad parenting?

• We never see these crazed white kid shootings at schools like Gateway High and Central High, so its obvious that Arapahoe county needs to integrate the lower income students into the upper income schools like Arapahoe High, and bus AHS students to the lower income high schools to integrate these violent white kids into the peaceful Democratic lower income areas so they lose their rage and learn that life is about contributing to the commune; instead of reaching for this false alpha #1 Me Me Me selfish capitalist mentality. Integrate now and end the violence!

• Zarus says:

Given my daughters exp in Colorado’s rich district I would agree. Problem is decent kids can’t deal with the rich lib hoods, they aren’t raised to deal with such violence and corruption. Best the rich lib kids stay away from decent lower income children. The assaults on my daughter were assaults one who expect from adult perverts not kids. My suggestion would be, keep the rich lib kids away from the lower income conservative schools. In truth, I think the parents should be thrown in prison and the kids in detention centers to protect the innocent.

• Roy says:

Maybe grades 6 -12 should just stay home and get home schooled or use a computer to receive an education.Just make sure they get a positive education and not more negative indoctrination. Teaching children that America ,capitalism,corporations ect are evil is not helping them.If anyone is angry and bitter they should get help – ” anger turned inward results in depression ” In other words if we have angry parents and teachers we will have angry and depressed children.Too many of us become lost and selfdestructive at an early age , anything can happen when anything goes and it’s not really all good in the good or anywhere else .Actions have consequences get over your love for stuff and learn to love and protect all people .If you care about children stop teaching them to be angry,bitter and envious towards others.Remember when the big guy said if they bring a gun we’ll bring a knife maybe a kinder gentler leader would have said if they bring a brain I’ll bring a good heart and maybe God could give us all more compassion ,better judgement and some good old common sense.Until then I guess we’ll continue our spiral towards chaos and LOCKDOWN!!!!!!

• Roy says:

All IM really trying to say is that there are many factors that lead to a suicidal murderer and to continue to blame guns and to try to pass more restrictive gun laws is not only a waste of time ,but is just an age old political trick by a party who continues to insist that every problem can be solved by raising taxes and creating more regulation.How about just enforcing the laws we already have and stop all the phony lecturing.If you have to blame someone,blame the criminals and those who seek to corrupt and control us all.IM just tired of the media and anyone else who will only tell half the truth ,the part that makes them look good and anyone who disagrees bad.we deserve the truth ,the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God!!!!

• Bleys says:

I am saddened by any loss of gun violence, and pray for the safe keeping and recovery of Claire Davis. I am a legal gun owner, and for people like me, it really strikes at our hearts – obviously not as much as the families of the victims – but it hurts us as well. It is so difficult to witness an innocent taken from us no matter the manner (I lost a daughter in a car accident, the driver she was with was speeding), so I know the pain of loss.

But please do not blame the object; blame the person. I cannot blame the 2012 Mustang or Ford Motor Co. for the death of my daughter, I blame the driver of the vehicle.

I don’t blame the UAW for building the car, I don’t blame the government for allowing the car on the road. It was the fault of the driver.

I do not blame his parents, siblings or kin for the loss of my beautiful daughter. It was, and always will be, the fault of the driver.

Had she been lost to a weapon, I would still feel the same way, it was the PERSON, not the object that took my daughter.

PEOPLE are violent, and sometime use objects to commit violence. Blame and punish the PEOPLE.

When, Oh When will we ever learn that morality cannot be legislated. It can only be learned in schools with Judeo/Christian beliefs, in churches, and most importantly at home with two loving and caring parents than can express proper morals and ethics to their children.

This is where we in American have gone wrong. This is why we have the violence of today. We have no moral or ethical compass.

• A Yeehawd says:

Metal detectors are worthless unless you have armed security. If you don’t think the shooter/student doesn’t know metal detectors are there then you are as crazy as they are. You think they will just walk through and say ‘oh, here’s my guns and bombs, you can have them’, no, they will enter shooting.

Will unarmed personnel forcibly take the weapons from a shooter?

This wasn’t a ‘scary assault rifle’ wielding shooter, no, a legally purchased shotgun…along with the molotov cocktails and a machete. Obviously he was mentally disturbed…once again. You can bet, just like Lanza in Newtown, he would have put his hands on a weapon somehow.

My children are more important than anything else in my life. I carry and have firearms in my home (secured) and hate the fact that I take them to a place (school) every day that is not secure in any way.

Like fish in a barrel and everyone should want something better for their children. You can click your heels together and wish that they will be safe and deranged people will leave them alone but me, I’d rather not leave things to wishful thinking.

• fast45 says:

Let’s ask those Newtown teachers just how well it works, to cower in your classroom with the lights off calling 911, and waiting for help. Oh … that’s right. We can’t ask them, because they’re DEAD! Sheep get slaughtered. Wolves fight. Funny how the biggest advocates of gun free zones, have their own armed security details 24/7 … Right, Hickenlooper and Bloomberg?

• Jim says:

Notice that the gunman stopped his rampage and took his own life when the School Resource Police Officer showed up. When are we going to learn, that not having trained administrators, staff or cops in the school armed, these killers will continue to kill in “gun free zones.” It is simple logic.

• This one is directed to the almighty Progressive intellect who will
    now rant about more gun control need

The fact is why were these incidents not prevalent thirty years ago
    in gun ridden areas such as southern Indiana when I was growing up? And
    the fact is we were a much more moral society back then. Morality, the
    word that evokes the snarl from the enlightened Progressive. You don’t
    wish to hear about moral breakdown. You state the world has always been
    this way. Possibly–the world but not this country.

Divorce wasn’t rampant thirty years ago. Today it is. Children were taught
    responsibility for actions thirty years ago. Now you, state they have a
    disorder, fill them with meds and tell them nothing is their fault.
    Sloth wasn’t prevalent thirty years ago. Now children are already obese,
    waddling between their X-box and internet.

You have accepted all and condemned nothing in this country. The Nietzsche platform of moral relativism. You created the poison and now you are being forced to
    swallow it. Working out well, isn’t it, Generation X? Your children.The
    end result of monsters that you created. I’ve predicted our collapse in
    fiction and non fiction. And I don’t have to prove my point. Newtown
    and CO are proving it for me.

I look forward to the snarls from the morally bankrupt.

Charles Hurst. Author of THE SECOND FALL. An offbeat story of Armageddon. And creator of THE RUNNINGWOLF EZINE

• eddie says:

Well said!!

• Zarus says:

Based on what I read of your comment, I take it you have read the bible, the prophecy God in his mercy provided us of these times? Charles, I am one who belongs to none, an oddity, not a church goer, yet always has God been at my side, still , I have lived much, seen much, so much , only those very few who are close to me, believe what I have lived. I saw a comment earlier , about the wolves and the sheep. I have been called by God, me one of his most unworthy, a horrible sinner, one who has seen the very worst of humanity, one who does not measure up to the decent, yet, neither do i measure up to the evil. What am I Charles? A wolf? A sheep? I don’t know. I will not stand by while the wolf kills the sheep , neither do I excuse the sheep for their stupidity, what am I Charles, to what realm do I belong? Do I belong to none? My compassion is deep, yet, I cannot and do not excuse the pathetic for their wicked behavior , nor do I buy into the well meaning , but, foolish Christian, who thinks they should accept, embrace , those who are good and those who are evil. So, how do i fit in? Me, who defends the innocent using any and all means necessary to protect their lives, despises those who are evil, disdains Christians for their foolish embracing of those who are evil in an attempt to save a soul not born of God but of hell or foolishly following satan and ignoring God’s warnings, his laws, because a man impressed them more, a man convinced them that God was wrong, a man convinced them to ignore the bible, despite it’s warnings , to follow his false words, to worship him, to throw aside the bible and accept his book instead of God’s. Where do I fit into all of this and those like me? Who are we? Our personal knowledge of God’s existence cannot be swayed, destroyed, yet , we don’t fit in with those who profess to be Christian’s, we fight, we will not allow the wicked to harm others , nor do we feel compassion for these hell spawn, we also do not fit in with the hell spawn, those whom we defend others from, we fit in with none. We are alone, why? Why are we neither good nor evil?

• Mark Sheats says:

CO has gone ultra liberal and it’s driving people crazy. Whole counties are trying to figure out a way to secede from the state. Now you see why.

• Zarus says:

I understand none of it Mark, as a nation , as a people, as individuals, life has not improved, quite the contrary, violence is rampant, productivity declines, fear is fostered, truth no longer exists, slow and painful death is worshiped, defended, innocence destroyed as quickly as possible, good is held in contempt, persecuted, responsibility is condemned, violence excused even commended, hate propagated, suffering of others reveled in, love hated. All that was , is gone. Why Mark? Why are there large pockets of humanity in this nation left who seek to divorce themselves from horror while others seek to insure we cannot escape their nightmare , their destruction? Where did these evil beings come from? Why do these monsters have control over an entire nation of people when they are the minority? Lib = evil. I am not or was not a church goes, now, I believe the beast rules, those who are evil, dangerous , a minority, are succeeding in their goal to pervert the young, destroy all that is good, confuse the decent. I don’t see how this is possible, how these few from hell , these few who feed from perversion, destruction, suffering and death are now in control. They are not the majority, their numbers are few compared to those of us who turn our backs on evil. Those who call themselves libs, they are of the beast, they are in reality far weaker in numbers then those who value life, truth, liberty , justice , freedom,far fewer than those who have morals, ethics, values. No I don’t understand how it is these few now destroy a nation , a nation still primarily populated by a people who are decent, good, not perfect by any means, but, without a doubt , strive for good, strive to deny evil. How did the evil, the wicked, the few , take down a nation of millions who disdain them, who see the truth of their evil, their destruction , the death they feed from? How Mark, did that happen? Deceit, that’s how. Elections are an illusion, those who are naive or pure of heart, cannot come to terms with this, it’s beyond what they can understand, beyond what they can believe, thus, the few have taken over and control an entire nation ,a nation of people who see the truth, but, not being united , not knowing that the majority did not vote the modern day vampires into power, in their confusion of right vs wrong, they question themselves, are at war within themselves, seek to remain decent and good in a world of evil and perversion. No, I don’t see why many small pockets, which equate to the majority , fight as a few, when they are many. We need to come together, we need to accept the truth, evil reigns, the evil are few , we are many, United we stand, divided we fall. I now believe those words were , that msg, was God’s msg to us. We as a people, need to throw off the yoke of tyranny, we the people , we consist of all colors, all backgrounds, all of us are flawed, yet even the most flawed of us knows the truth , evil now reigns and these hell spawn are but a few, the majority out number the evil. These few , this evil, manipulate, create hate, division, insuring that we the people do not rise up as a single unified power, a tidal wave of such force that only God could defeat. United we stand , divided we fall, a guidance provided this nation by God, no doubt in my mind. I , who am not worthy to wash the feet of those humans who have been loyal, I who have not honored God, I who did not attend church, I who disdained those who did, I say, now, those words , “United we stand, divided we fall”, came from God, me, the least unworthy of his children.

• Zarus says:

One last comment, I who am less then those who have worked hard to be decent, loving , caring, giving, truthful, I have seen the reality of evil, I know the truth of corruption, I know the truth of evil, I have lived and seen what too many in this nation have not, I know the truth of evil , I know the truth of those who are corrupt, I know to what levels they will stoop to achieve what they want, you have , I assume, no idea , how low evil will stoop, it’s one goal is simple, obtain what it wants , thru any and all means. Most in this nation cannot believe this, because, they aren’t capable of such evil, cannot conceive of any being this evil, they cannot because their hearts, their souls, are good, not only do I apply this to Christians but atheists as well, I apply this to all of those who are decent, all who have compassion, all who are human. I would suggest that all of you who are such decent people, start embracing those of us who do not measure up to your goodness, I would suggest, you hear us, we are not evil, but, our paths put us in positions of power within the ranks of the evil.
    We know the truth, our hearts are hardened by these truths, we know the reality of evil while the majority who are decent do not, they do not because they are incapable of such evil, thus , in their minds, their heats, it simply cannot exist.

• Zarus –it’s not a few–it becomes more and more every year. I started my fiction in 2005–the insanity has grown exponentially since then. And that is what it is–insanity.The tale of prophecy is literally coming true. It had too—I based my work on history–and history has this nasty habit of repeating itself

• fast45 says:

Wow Zarus … switch to decaf.

• Roy says:

I blame action revenge movies and a culture that puts it’s hope and faith in big and wasteful govt.Why do so many people resort to suicide ? Why do little children read Romeo and Juliet ? Something goes wrong and you feel a need to kill ? This is not another case of gun violence , rather another sick episode in our culture of death If people can choose to kill unborn and totally innocent babies where does it end? Even if you took away all the guns melted them down and turned them into spoon the killers would use sticks and stones.wake up and stop being misled by socialists and lawyers!

• Roy says:

Why don’t we ever hear about all the people who are saved by guns ? Why do liberals always claim the only way to solve our problems is by taking something away from us? Why are you all so willing to give up your God,guns,wealth and freedoms to a govt that just gave 8 billion dollars to the terrorist state of Iran and then turns around and tells it’s own citizens that it can’t afford to send you a check even when they owe you money.Goes SurIname care working does that give you that hope and change you were sugaring for? Real hope and positive change can only come from Above and within.stop playing the blame Game and spreading your filthy guilt.

• fast45 says:

I agree with most of what you’re saying, Roy. Giving money to countries like Pakistan and Iran should be grounds for treason … remember who is the incumbent during the next couple elections and vote them out, regardless of party affiliation. Yes, our government trends ever more towards taking away freedoms, money, and guns. However, I don’t see how irrational beliefs and superstitions regarding imaginary-friends-in-the-sky will garner positive change. Facts and higher learning, not beliefs, will propel us forward. “Beliefs” usually promote arguments.

• Roy says:

Being endowed by our Creator means everything if you take God out of everything then men and women will rationalize our freedoms away .Either we base our laws on the unselfish life and freedom values of God or we will succumb to the selfish dictates of liars and fools. This country is being destroyed by people who would rather play God than praise God .We must all realize that we were born here to do good not evil.Be a lover and protector of all people including ourselves and never a hater or predator of anyone.I understand you may be a Libertarian and think everything you want to do should be legal,but without rules and the enforcement of some rule we will slide into chaos and then who will the left wing lawyers blame? 0

• SJ says:

The teacher left to draw the shooter away my back side. She ran cause she was scared. Nothing against her for that, but don’t try telling me she was running to have the shooter follow. She was running to save her own hide. Don’t try making her actions something they are not.

As for the shooter, I am glad he is gone. Means we don’t have to deal with the courts or pay to house him.

Stop focusing on the shooter. He isn’t the important one. The kids are the important ones. I don’t care about the shooters home life, I don’t care about his friends or social interactions. He was obviously off his rocker. Lets focus on the security guard who finally confronted him and the kids who need some assistance.

• Roy says:

Yes my lover of the truth you are right and we should be grateful that he was locked and loaded rather than disarmed and more people dead .Murdered by a sick and selfish ,lost and broken soul.Some where in a much better reality where children are taught to value life by real teachers and parents the title of the movie would be Romeo must live and Shakespeare would write encouraging wonderful stories and not tragedies that promote thoughts of suicide and despair Do you even know where you kids are and what the schools have them reading now??????

• Roy says:

Just because you are non believer that doesn’t mean you can’t under stand where our goodness and freedom comes from do you think that taking the ten commandments off the walls has made us Freeer and safer .How about the destruction of the family and leaders who only tolerate those who agree with them and use the force and might of our own govt.to punish those who disaree and the liars and thieves claim they have our best interest at heart=in what world disorder do they exist?
    Punish,demonize the best and we are doomed to the worst.wakeup and demand your freedom ,stop the victimhood pimps and learn to be grateful not Hateful.

And Pray

• fast45 says:

Okay Roy … so you have an imaginary friend. All of your passionate, heartfelt belief cannot produce a shred of proof, that your friend is real and everybody else has a fake one. Pour out your feelings to us … but there is a reason why most scientists with graduate degrees are atheists. Once upon a time, I absolutely knew in my heart, that Santa and the Easter Bunny were real too.

• Roy says:

Most atheist become scientist and get paid to tell lies to make a buck just because the Easter bunny doesn’t exist doesn’t mean God doesn’t exist it simply means that you don’t believe in anything real.When it gets hot the scientists call it global warming and when it gets cold they call it climate change and if they couldn’t blame it on man and or admit that they Haven’t a clue then they wouldn’t get anymore money to try and take more money and freedom from us .Once again your left wing scientists ,lawyers socialists and lost souls still can’t explain this life that we’ve been given or expect me to believe that we came from Burlingame that there is no greater power or authority than thrive educated and brainwashed scientist that you seem to worship and serve Jesus said “They shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free” What do you think happens when all we get are lies = inanimate and death!!!!

• Roy says:

What I meant to say was that when all you get are lies you end up with obamacare and more death worthless hope and change that results in more self destruction and more despair.

• Fast45 says:

Your posts clearly speak for you, Roy, and read like somebody with zero scientific knowledge, but much passion. Learn more about the world around you, and you won’t need to believe fantasies so much. Life is less of a mystery when you actually know something about it.

Mass shootings would end differently if trained, armed citizens were allowed to stop murderers. Instead, the laws say we should allow only the lawbreakers to carry weapons into our schools. Restrictive gun laws are responsible for 1,000′s of deaths annually … Thank you, Gov. Hickenlooper and friends. The blood of present and future victims is on your hands.

• Roy says:

Nobody was trying to make anybody feel bad I was simply you would realize why the U.S. Constitution begins with “We are endowed by our creator” It was so no person no matter how high and mighty they may seem.So before you go back to debating who to blame and who to punish you should thank God you were born in a free country and stop worshipping at the alter of Big,TYRANNICAL govt.no hate just truth and hoping you will help preserve our God given freedoms if not for a religious belief than a belief in real freedom and not to be lectured by people who take our money and use it to murder UN born and partially unborn babies how dare they lecture us on any thing concerning life learn to value all life or ……

• Roy says:

All the scientific knowledge in the world won’t save you .But they are being payed to enslave you.If you give me a billion dollars I might even believe in and sign up for obamacare just one problem IM not for sale and neither is my freedom so let’s just join in disagreement over science and religion and stand up for freedom. Amen.

• Roy says:

There is no such thing as gun violence this is a slick democrat talking point designed to shift the blame and give self serving lawyers someone to sue.It’s just as selfish and disingenuous as when they say that your poor health choices cost us all more like living forever on the govt dole were cheap.It’s just another excuse to take our money and freedom I believe the philosophy is called social justice which really means peoplewho are bitter and envious get to decide who to reward and who to punish the true hate crime is the victimhood mentality .Helen keller said “self pity is our own worst enemy and if we give in to it we all do nothing wise in this world “in other words stop putting your hope in the hopeless.

• Roy says:

This is the price of freedom God gave us free will because he loves us some people choose to take it away because they hate us and want to lord over and control us.God doesn’t corrupt people satan and other corrupted people do that’ll too well.There is something missing in the heart and soul of anyone who takes the life of the innocent .I can still remember telling someone after Columbine ,you would think at least one of these guys would realize that they had a terrible idea and that they should not go through with there sick and selfish plan just like we should stop murdering the unborn.

• Schools should be like airports from middle school onwards carefully screened with “armed” guards to avoid this stupidity

• Rin Tinfoil says:

Why aren’t authorities cavity searching all students at every entrance and exit? Who knows what they are carrying in and out that’s making them so crazed?? And BTW, what were the political beliefs of the ‘judges’ that gave this gunchild a poor score, and defeated his self-confidence? Futhermore; why do these shooting happen in white suburbia Colorado? Seems like a pattern, as if the cell phone towers are frying their brains with evil thoughts? Random is one thing, but excessive pattern is proof! End the frequencies! Save the children from these radioactive microwaves!

• John C says:

The armed security guard is the reason this incident was worse. Thank God he was there! Yet still you have these crying whining left wing wimps who say they don’t want someone armed in the school with their children. When there is a good guy in the school, armed it protects the children, like it did in this incident, without that armed guard it would have been much, much worse. It is amazing, the more liberal Colorado has become, the more incidents like this happen. They say liberalism is a mental disorder and that this killer was a raving left wing socialist, who was very pro gun control. Put them altogether and he, like is fellow traveler in Newton Connecticut and this is what you get.

• his parents should kill them selves too

• h_ Wolgers says:

Or why not give our Children the gift of reasoning. When a problem occurs teach them not that a gun is a solution, give them other tools.

• Roy says:

It is easy to say what we could do , liberals are famous for that. The truth is we can’t change the fact that some people choose to do evil . It is a sick and selfish decision based on some need to take away what others have it could be your life your healthcare or your money ect. Unfortunately these destructive behaviors are being fueled by liberal and progressive dogma.Misery loves company and the tools our children are being given are anger , bitterness and envy.maybe instead of trying to transform America and save the planet we should take an honest look in the mirror .Remember those adds that used to say a mind is a terrible thing to waste, well unfortunately they taught alot of those minds to hate.Hate is the greatest sponsor of ignorance and mayhem when we give in to it we become our own worst enemy.

• h_ Wolgers says:

By the look of your own comments… I see anger, condemnation, hate and wishes of more violence – and you do not get why kids in America is taking up arms, shooting? Where is the compassion, forgivness, reconciliation? Is it not time we took notice, learn and wish to do better for the future for ALL our Children?