Cañon City school suspends 6-year-old for kissing girl on cheek, hand

Posted on: 10:13 am, December 10, 2013, by , updated on: 10:08pm, December 10, 2013

CAÑON CITY, Colo. — A Colorado Springs 6-year-old was suspended from school this week for kissing a girl on the cheek and hand, according to a report.

KRDO reported that Lincoln School of Science and Technology suspended first grader Hunter Yelton for two days for two separate kissing incidents. Yelton’s parents are furious, saying this is all a misunderstanding and that the two kids are young crushes who like each other.

The school is calling it something much different: sexual harassment. A child psychologists is saying the school is sending the wrong message in dubbing the Yelton’s behavior as such.

“I don’t think a 6-year-old would understand what harassment is,” Sandy Wurtele, a child clinical psychologist at the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs, told KRDO. “That has some longer-term implications.

“For most 6-year-old boys, absolutely, (kissing) would be a normal behavior. Learning about it is part of development and is just as important — if not more — than learning in an academic sense.”

Instead, Wurtele said the school should use this incident as a chance to teach some social development lessons to its students.

“For so long, we’re like ‘Oh no! Don’t kiss. Don’t talk about it. Don’t ask questions,’” Wurtele said. “The school has an opportunity to move the dialogue away from ‘we don’t do this ever’ to ‘what situations is this acceptable?’”

While Yelton’s mother, Jennifer Saunders, admits that her son has hand some issues at school — he has also been suspended for rough-housing — she said the whole situation has been blown out of proportion.

“She (the girl) was fine with the kiss,” Saunders told KRDO. “The other children saw them kiss and went to the music teacher. The principal then calls it ‘sexual harassment.’ … Now my son is asking questions. ‘What is sex, mommy?’ Sex should not ever be said in a sentence that involves a 6-year-old.”

While a School District RE-1 spokesperson would not comment specifically on Yelton’s actions, he did confirm that the boy’s actions fit the school policy description of “sexual harassment.”

• tjr says:

Oh my we really need to start using some common sense in our schools. Kids get in big trouble for playing innocent games these days. It’s sad.

• Don says:

And those are educated people? Nanny state sociology in action.

• MERL says:

This is CRAZY! What ever happened to common sense within the school system? Parents….get off your duffs and standup to the board and administration for enacting such a policy in the first place. An innocent act and the kid is already labeled! Just aggravates me.
    I am a former educator and this shows me how poor our education system has deteriated.

• Bryan Brune says:

God save us from politically correct school administrators.

• Wow suspension, He is 6, also this is a very negative way to communicate to a child who doesn’t know this isn’t acceptable. All kids at one point or another will do something, this isn’t even remotely bad! When I was in first grade a boy was annoying me, hitting me, and teasing, the teachers did nothing. As a retaliation I knew he didn’t like kisses so I attempted to kiss his cheek several times. In turn he stabbed me in the hand with a sharpened pencil. If this would have been handled correctly at any given point then no one would be in trouble and we would have learned something. It is a serious accusation by the school to charge a 6 year old for sexual harassment and the school should be court ordered for the teachers to undergo special training as to what it is and what it isn’t and how to handle these situations.

Just plain wrong on the schools part.

• The school system has just planted the seed in this boy to eventually become a sociopath.

• DR Commish says:

But if he wanted to use the “Little Girl’s” Restroom…. This Principal would proudly hold his hand while he “tinkled”…
    I’m going to have to get my “Living in a Liberal World” handbook updated again…..

• They have planted the seed and labeling a child at such an age is damaging and not acceptable.We need to put a stop to stupid stuff like this happening to our children… There is no such thing as innocence any more… very sad

• Reality Check says:

If Georgie Porgie nursery rhyme was written today by liberals instead of Georgie running away he would have life in a max. security prison with no parole… What’s screwed up here is they have ruined the boy’s spirit.

• Kristen says:

I agree with the comments above. Also, if the girl was indeed ok with the kiss, and is now upset that her crush was suspended, the school has just taught her not to report things like this. There could come a time in the future where she is involved in something that she doesn’t agree with, but won’t report it because of fear of the consequences… The school definitely lost out on a learning opportunity to explain what is and what isn’t appropriate. Not that I’d want the school making that call, after seeing their judgment in this case!

• Dan says:

Do you think we are over the top. What idiots

• Kristen says:

Oh, and does anyone proofread articles anymore?!?!

• Suzanne says:

SHAME ON THOSE PEOPLE (Teacher, Principal and Administration) in that school, that have totally ruined this little boy’s sense of identity and has endangered this boy’s mental well-being! Yes, cruel people, it is just an innocent little boy that is being himself. Just from watching this video of Hunter ….you can already see the self-esteem damage … LOOK at how nervous he is, fidgety and moving his little fingers! Poor baby, it breaks my heart to see this!!!! I do know we have rules in our society, and I do know we need that for law and order. But when you jeopardize a little boy’s mental stability…you’ve gone way toooo far. I would call this EMOTIONAL CHILD ABUSE!!!!! Now since you, LINCOLN SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY have started this slanderous and offending label of (Sexual Harassment) to this young little boy…you have just opened a public national outcry for this boy!!!! And mark my words …this attention to this little normal boy of only living and breathing in our world for only just 6 yrs. … justice will been done for this little boy and other children that schools actions bring harm instead of protection to the children. This school and administration will have to reap the consequences of their drastic decision to label this child and endanger his mental well-being! Your school labeling of sexual harassment will be punished, just like you punished this little boy with school suspension, and in addition your school administration could possibly have a price to pay! I believe an apology to Hunter and his mother would be a good and honorable start!!! God bless you Jennifer and Hunter, and may God be with you both through this trial! I’ll be praying for you both!

• Kim says:

To all of you crabbing about how this is all the fault of liberals. I am Liberal, with a Capitol “L”. Most of my friends and family are Liberal, with a Capitol “L”. We ALL think this is stupid and a complete overreaction to very young children behaving in a completely normal way. So please stop making EVERYthing political. It just isn’t that way.

• DISGUSTED says:

Time to BAN hugs cause a 6 YEAR OLD KNOWS WHAT SEXUAL HARRASSMENT IS. Sounds like an angry teacher is taking out their personal issues from home out on a child. This is beyond RIDICULOUS. What’s next?

• Idoitbeyondbelief says:

Kristen….The children are 6 YEARS OLD. GET OVER YOURSELF!

• Anonymous says:

Way to stat this kid down the right track. If he turns to a life of crime, we’ll know what event set him down that path. Do yourselves a favor people and don’t send you kids to public school. Schools these days are so poorly managed that I would feel better dropping my child off with a hobo in an alley than ANY school official. Simply Google: Cumberland, father, arrested, pick up; to find out why I am taking a stand against strangers who want to tell you what they’re going to do with your kids.

• Anne Quinn says:

Stupid is as stupid does, Mr. Principal. You made a judgement call that is so far removed from sexual harassment…it would give me concern about any decision that you made about anything. You need to send yourself into timeout for a few years and let someone with good common sense made the calls about the children that are under your care. Shame on you for sending a six year old home for even one day because he kissed a little girl that he cared about. We need more love in the world among our children and less punishment from adults who have either forgotten what love is or never knew.

• bernadette says:

my best friend’s step-sister makes $89 hourly on the laptop. She has been fired from work for seven months but last month her pay was $19206 just working on the laptop for a few hours. look these up…….. http://tiny.tw/3eiX

• Candy says:

The story is a little confusing it say Canon City School suspends 6 year old, then a Colorado Springs boy. Which is it Canon City or Colorado Springs?

• Debbie says:

Ridiculous! My goodness he’s only 6. These so called educators are stupid!

• Nana says:

Poor little guy. What are we telling our children? They see mom and dad hugging and kissing. Grandma hugs and kisses and wants hugs and kisses. We show and want our children to love and respect but then the schools say no no that is sexual harassment. What if we would NOT show our children that caring and love is a good thing. That we want them to grow up with knowing that we love them so we hug and kiss them every day. This is what the world needs, more people that care and respect not only themselves but others then maybe we would not have the kind of people I see today. Those that are selfish non caring and have no respect for each other. This school will pay for what they have done. Please do not label this child with sexual harassment for his life he is and was just showing that he cares and has a big heart. Mom take this to the top we are all behind you and you have our support for your little man. Hunter do not ever stop being you. You are a handsome, wonderful and special young man.

• David Tuck says:

WOW…..really? SEXUAL HARRASMENT! The entire staff of this school district needs to be shown the door! I was six years old about 50 years ago! Was ANYTHING sexual at 6? Maybe some of the school administration was living a weird life at 6, but NORMAL America was not! SHAME on all of the admin that voted to suspend this CHILD! The idiots in charge of America really disturb me….. Maybe it’s time to check out of this f#*¥*#’d country!

• Dustin says:

You can no longer be an innocent child these days. I would really have to restrain myself from knocking the principal the f*** out.

• Joann Allen says:

What a sick society we have now. This is one of the craziest things I ever heard of. I have a lot of little children relations and at all family get togethers the children give everyone a hug. The school must have a COLD bunch of sick teachers.. Thank God I’m old and have no kids in school in today’s crazy world. They ought to get rid of that Principal. Teach the 3 r’s .. No wonder so many parents home school. No wonder kids are so mixed up now. What have they done to this poor little child?

• Brad Minney says:

This is a sick enviroment that we live in!! The fact that men can marry men, and women can marry women, a yet a 6 year old cannot express love and affection!! GOD help us all!!

• Jack says:

Go to Canon City School districts page and go to Lincoln School and put a little comment in there for them…I did! Maakes me sick to see them label a kid like this.

• Tanja says:

What is wrong with this school? I am from Germany and this made it to the news even in my country. Unbelievable. This is how to traumatise a quite normal boy. What about some common sense and humanity instead of strange, prudish, irrational action towards a cjhild who did nothing wrong….?

• Roscoe says:

Nothing will change .. and everything will continue to get more bizarre, if we don’t purge our public schools of these Liberals who infest the education system of this country.

• howens says:

I he kissed a boy they would have said nothing.our once great country is being taken over but idiots.

• philly phenatic says:

Why dont you publish the names of the school official(s) who approved this assinine action against a 6yr old! These are supposed to be educated individuals in charge here. Sounds like our education system is really screwed up putting people like this in charge of a school district! Defamation charges need to be filed against the administration as well as the entire district.

• Anonymous says:

I cannot make up my mind if the idiots involved are sexually repressed, or just plain stupid. Things have gotten totally out of hand when kids cannot be kids anymore. A 6 year old acting like a 6 year old – WOW. Just a simple kiss.

• Jennifer Wood says:

A young child being treated as a sexual predator for being a normal young boy is despicable. Schools need to take a major look at how they are conducting themselves. Bravo to his mother for not allowing this to go on! They call the police on children playing and now an innocent kiss on the cheek and hand make a innocent boy a sexual deviant. Shame on them!

• Chuck Shepard says:

Sounds like they are trying to de-senitize the kids into zombies, now it’s time for the dads to have a serious talk to the principle(less) and superjerk and see just how adamant they are about this, be funny to see how emotional they are when they keep falling on their faces every time they show any.
    Maybe time to bring ‘child abuse by persons in authority’ charges against them, and have all three of them banned from having any contact with children for life.

• jeff says:

There is nothing “sexual” about a five year old and his girlfriend. The kiss was not unrequited, and acknowledged they were acting as boyfriend and girlfriend. We have to stop the nonsense and focus on real safety issues. The teacher should be suspended on the grounds
    of causing a crisis when one never existed. We all need a kiss now and then, it is real, and wonderful part of life. Good grief Charlie Brown!

• Rob says:

Come on now, Can’t you all see what a horrible kids this is… He has a record already. Suspended for “Rough Housing” and now a mallicous sexual attack on a little girl…. Sorry I had to try and fgure out the reasoning. I am sad to say, I could not figure it out and typig that first sentence had me even more pissed than when I first heard about this story.

Seriously a 6 year old boy gets suspended for Rough Housing and now Kissing a friend? Who knows what sort of evil might do next. I am betting fart noises with his arm pits, or maybe a funny face that is racially motivated and a hate crime?

I have to wonder how close we are getting to seeing the fall of this once great country!

• john cook says:

This is how stupid things are getting with these liberal social schemers running things. It is just part of an ongoing witchhunt.

They need to recall everyone involved with this nonsense.

• Tim Shewmake says:

Time to get an attorney involved! Since the 6th grader can’t possibly know what “sexual harassment” is and this could be something that long-term could harm the boy emotionally there’s a great chance the school district could be sued. I tried to email the president of the school district, funny thing, his email is SHUT DOWN. lol Hmmm, wonder why?

• D says:

WOW! What is the World coming to? What’s next? A three year old gets suspended from pre school for saying I love you? So, now thanks to the principal and superintendent of this school and school district, this innocent six year old just grew into adult hood overnigth because he has been exposed to the term, “sexual harrassment” what is wrong with you people?

• D says:

And yes, the parents need to retain an attorney to get the “sexual harrassment” labeling removed from their 6 year olds school record.

• Donna says:

I would first take my 6-year old out of this crazy place and then I would find the best attorney and sue THEIR pants off!! Children at that age don’t even understand “sexual”. they are just showing their natural loving ways! The school people have obviously smoked too much pot!

• Alpha Omega says:

These are the same “educators” that are too stupid to know the difference between an imaginary weapon and a real one. Any surprises?

• Maybe the adult who witnessed it was sexually aroused, and therefore thought it was sexual in nature. Do we have another child molester masquerading as a teacher? Maybe an investigation is in order. After all, if it “saves one child, isn’t it worth it?”

• Shana Clark says:

This is the most ridiculous school administration I have ever heard of. They do not deserve to be leading children. This school should be boycotted then shut down. I most certainly would not entrust my child to this school run by clowns. They have marked this little boy’s present and future. Shame on them!!!

• Amart says:

Things have cetainly changed from the days of sneaking a kiss behind the cafeteria. I think I grew up ok. Notice the district’s website. Boys and girls lying together on the floor–seems pretty sexual to me or would if I believed in this school districts view of the world.

Dumb people in Colorado if they let this superintendent get away with this shameful action against this child. Shame on them all.

• fast45 says:

Frick’in UNBELIEVABLE!!! The school district should be so proud. Not.

• Crazy Cat Lady says:

If the girl had complained that it was unwanted, would you all still call this “dumb, wrong, unbelievable?” He’s done it before and was told to stop. He didn’t. He got punished. Will you all say the same things when he does it again and again? Yes, I do speak from experience!

• Give your Heads a Shake says:

This is a one sided story… Does anyone know how the little girl felt?
    What if she felt uncomfortable or said no to this little boy? Of course HIS mother said it was ok… That makes it ok right?

No matter what age – 6, 66, or anything else; if person A kisses person B and person B feels uncomfortable about it they have a right to say something about it and as parents/school teachers/principles we have a right to action that.

I AM proud that the school district did something about it. It shows that they dont want to have a girl growing up thinking its ok to be kissed anytime a boy wants to kiss her.

About time someone stood up for girls rights.

And for anyone out there who thinks otherwise… Would you feel the same way if this was your 16 yr old child? or 11 yr old child being kissed by unwanted advances? Think about it for a moment.

• Reblogged this on The Wise Woman Speaks and commented:
    This story has been bothering me since I first heard about it. My first sexual assault occurred on a playground when I was held down by one boy and kissed by another. This pattern of boys behaving this way toward girls and getting away with it needs to become a thing of the past. And, here we have a school district trying to the right thing. They have a sexual harassment policy in place, which is surely a requirement for every institution, and they are trying to enforce the rules, very much within reason. The comments sections, not only at FoxNews outlets online, but elsewhere, are full of plenty of support for the little male oppressors, but very little has been mentioned about this poor girl, who has been the victim of his assaults twice, according to news articles. According to foxnews.com, the girls told their reporters that she wanted the boy to “knock it off.” And, even if this were a case of consenting to be slobbered on, is this what should be going on at a school? No, of course not. It is disruptive. And, it is not fair to little girls who have to put up with these pint-sized pervs year after year like I did. The first boy to sexually assault me – and that’s what having your friend hold a little girl down so you can slobber on her is – continued to harass me for years. He eventually ended up in prison.
    Another little girl in my class had yet another boy who pursued her until middle school. It was horrible! At one point, her parents had to file charges against him for telephone harassment. This is what goes on when little boys are permitted to behave this way toward little girls in school. This school administration did the right thing, but reading the comments sections is very, very disturbing to me. I cannot believe how much support there is for “boys will be boys” with some people calling this behavior “sweet” and referring to little boys slobbering on girls and men slobbering on women as “gentlemanly.” It most certainly is not – it’s not civilized. It’s revolting. It’s assault. It’s a crime. And, since the advent of AIDS, HIV and HepC, it is a biological hazard, as well.
    This school tried to do the right thing… and this self-entitled mother is an example of how not to raise a little boy if you don’t want him to be a future felon.

• People are out raged over this, and rightly so. A six year old is not an adult. We can not expect a six year old to act like an adult. Part of the growing up process is making mistakes and pushing boundaries. We do need boundaries but from your tone the one and only boundary you would be happy with is the great wall of gender so that no male ever has any contact of any kind at any time for any reason with any female. We do need boundries for both boys and girls, these boundreis need to be well shy of gender apartheid.

• les says:

Sue the school district..
    Plain and simple.. the boy is only 6..
    there policy has no meaning to a child of 6.

• Richard says:

In the Netherlands this “school” is already the laughing stock of the educational world, i hope they realise that there are a lot of future parents who will probably NOT send their child there because it feels like sending him/here to juvenile hall even before the crime has been committed.

And to the people who stand behind this school i would like to say:

GET A LIFE AND STOP ACTING AS A HYPOCRITE, THESE KIDS WERE 6 YEARS OLD.

• Jennifer says:

this is absolutely ridiculous they are 6 year olds , the parents have a right to be upset and the yea the lady has the right idea this could follow him around he rest of his school years and yes indeed think about how you can make it a positive conversation instead of so shameful! I ‘m not only disgusted to raise my child in this society but also get a grip on real situations !