Family: Father takes photo of daughter then kills her, shoots self
WESTMINSTER, Colo. — A man apparently killed his 1-year-old daughter before shooting himself Monday morning in a domestic incident in Westminster.
The shooting near 72nd Avenue and Stuart Street was reported about 9:35 a.m., the Westminster Police Department said. Dispatchers received a 911 call from a woman saying her ex-boyfriend, 22-year-old Merrick McKoy, was in her apartment and that he had a gun.
McKoy, who was the father of the woman’s young daughter, is the subject of a restraining order forbidding him from being at the address, police said.
After a scuffle, the woman fled the apartment and called police again from a neighbor’s home. The child was left behind.
Police arriving on the scene a short time later heard gunshots. Upon entering the apartment, they found that both the man and the child had been shot.
The child, identified as Mia McKoy-Phanthavongsa, died of her injuries, police said. McKoy’s condition was not released.
A family member said McKoy had taken a photo of himself with his daughter and posted it to Facebook shortly before the shooting.
On Monday morning, a Facebook page allegedly belonging to McKoy featured the status update “Don’t judge me had no choice.”
Police were still investigating exactly what happened in the apartment.
- N.J. Gov. Christie on Colorado legalizing pot: 'Not the quality of life we want'
- Indian doctors strike gold while performing surgery on man
- Model says she plans to have abortion to appear on reality show
- Colorado policymakers fire back at Gov. Christie over pot comments
- Woman says 3 dogs busted into her house, attacked her and 2 pets