Colo. man signs up for his insurance, his dog gets covered instead

Posted on: 10:07 pm, November 15, 2013, by , updated on: 04:18pm, November 19, 2013

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The Colorado healthcare exchange has processed applications for thousands of people … and one dog.

Shane Smith, of Fort Collins, says his dog Baxter received a letter informing him that a health insurance account had been opened in his name through Connect for Health Colorado.

“I thought, ‘Wow, this is so awesome,’” Smith said with a laugh. “They have gone out of their way to insure my 14-year-old Yorkie.”

Smith had called Connect for Health Colorado to sign himself up for insurance because his old plan was cancelled due to Obamacare.

He’s not sure exactly how the confirmation letter went to his dog, but he says he thinks it’s because of a series of security questions a representative asked him over the phone.

“There was some kind of code or something, so I gave them my dog’s name,” Smith said. “They must have just put it in the wrong slot or something.”

After hearing about all the headaches with Obamacare nationally, Shane says this mistake doesn’t seem so bad.

“It was pretty funny. Typical Obamacare, that they would insure your dog by mistake,” Smith said.

Smith says he was able to call and correct the mistake fairly quickly.

“They fixed it … I think they fixed it,” he said.

After having his original policy cancelled, followed by this, Smith says he won’t believe it until he sees it.

“There’s been a lot of headaches that’s come from all of this. All the phone calls. All the nonsense. They ended up giving me good coverage I think, but who knows if they’re going to take it away,” Smith said. “As long as Baxter’s covered that’s all the counts.”

Connect for Health Colorado couldn’t comment on the specific letter sent to Baxter, but a spokesperson did release this statement:

“In general, our letters to customers are generated according to information that is provided by the customer into the system either online or over the phone. In other words, our system does not make up a name when generating a letter. As with any new system, mistakes are possible and when notified by customers, we work quickly to resolve the situation.”

• Doc Kimble says:

Good luck with trusting your medical insurance to a Behemoth , Cavernous, Nameless, Distant Bureaucracy.
    “What could possibly go wrong?”

• Robert says:

How stupid must you be to screw these forms up?! Why in the hell would they EVER have your dogs name?! This process isn’t stupid-proof, so there may be a fool or two that slips through.

• MacDaddyWatch says:

Affirmative Action only requires that you present your paw when requested.

• lissmth says:

There is no reason at all to associate with a government exchange unless you can get free stuff. There are private exchanges and brokers.

• TwistedGenius says:

See they now got a new name for a registered voter. Voter registrations has gone to the dogs.

• Mr. Resistor says:

As long as the pill is wrapped in bacon….

• Paddy says:

If your dog wants to keep his vet, he can keep his vet.

Just stay away from cops because they like to shoot dogs.

• sounds like they have worked all the bugs out of the software

• I believe all dogs, cats, and farm animals should be insured. You never know when they’re going to need an appendectomy or something.

• For a 14 year old dog, I’d have kept the insurance for the dog.

• Bob Jones says:

Obamacare is irrelevant. Since when did liberals care if government (or their president) works?

• COULD THAT DOG BE OBAMA?

• ironsun254 says:

See? It is insuring the uninsured!

• Clearhead says:

If obama had a pup — — — –

• Phil says:

So far I have not been surprised by one single thing that the O’Bummer administration has dumped on this country, least of all this failed O’Bummercare.

• Will ferrell says:

Ron Burgundy?

• jhjhdduikss says:

Well, now Colorado has another registered Democratic voter.

• Bob says:

Obviously, Obamacare has cross indexed the enrollment list with the Democratic voter list.

• wminaz says:

Can the dog stay on until he is 26?

• paineintheneck says:

Doesn’t subjecting this poor dog to the possibility of identity theft constitute cruelty to animals? Democrats are just evil.

• sarahbradleee says:

Funny story and you do realize that this is exactly how voters are registered to vote – same care, same concern, same critical checks.

So, I really hope you will have your dog register and vote for a Republican next time.

• fantum says:

My Dogs Get Welfare…

This morning I went to sign my dogs up for welfare. At first the lady said “Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare.”

I explained to her that my dogs are of mixed race, lazy, unemployed, can’t speak English, and they have no clue as to who their daddy’s are… Also, they expect me to feed them and provide them with housing and medical care.

So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify for welfare.

My dogs get their first checks next Monday.

• Jose Wales says:

oBAMA would rather EAT this dog than INSURE it.

• KeyserSoze says:

Richard Parker

• And now we know this guy’s password……Who needs the NSA, when people are willingly giving out sensitive information?

• RDTimmermanJr says:

I wonder if I can get my cat MsMeriwether covered?

• Heh-heh. When you see your own insurance premiums, you’ll probably have to sell that Yorkie. Or contact the WH for recipes.

• ImJustAGuy says:

Anyone who supports this ObamaCare disaster has lost what little intelligence they had left.

• John Barnett says:

No dought they also confused Muchelle Obama with Bo the First Dog.

• Malik Nidal says:

The dog is a racist, a terrorist, a hostage-taker and an obstructionist.
    The owner is obviously a bandit and a dangerous couner-revolutionary.

LEAN FORWARD

• Cain says:

Why is is that the only thing I can think of after reading that is “Baxter! Is that you? Bark twice if you’re in Milwaukee!”

At this point, that is how comical this law has become to me. It should be tossed out, and quickly.

• N. Eedmorezorfan. says:

Fred Allen used to say about Los Angeles “There seems to be a slow leak in Iowa”. Kenya burped just once and destroyed a nation. The DoD will be towing Kenya off the coast of Florida, and distributing voters as required and researching that burp. Could destroy the solar system if they ever start eating lima beans

• FreeMan says:

I’d keep a close watch on Baxter, I heard 0b0 thinks he would be tasty.

• Rocco Tool says:

Even the dog wasn’t allowed to “keep his plan”.

• Mandy says:

I read where anyone within the world could sign up for this and it appears from this article that sadly this is true. What a mess.

• 123 says:

And yet he does not question what they’ve done with his personal information,yeah he deserves obamascare.

• iambicpentamaster says:

The structured ruination of American health care?

You didn’t build that!

Obama made that happen!

• According to voter records the dog voted for Obama so he was automatically accepted into Obamacare. Check the records and you will see.

• walter12 says:

I am speaking to the people of Colorado. The vast majority of the people of Montana despise and loathe your Obama. He is despictable in so many ways.

• Pocho Basura says:

………I all those signed by ACORN, to vote for obamma, are auto signed to obammacare

• GW says:

Dogs can be on their owners health insurance policy until their 26.

• billy bob says:

The GOP should take everything that Obama says for the next 3 years and make a commercial out of it and then add a clip of Obama saying “If you like your insurance you can keep it. Noone will take it away from you”
    RAM IT DOWN THEIR THROATS.
    What is the difference between Healthcare.gov and oldladiesp*rn.com?

About a billion dollars and you can log in and use oldladiesp*rn.com

• notsostupidincolorado says:

walter12 – some of us in Colorado agree with the vast majority of people in Montana ………

thanks to everyone above for the laughs

• HiDest says:

BOW WOW….

• John says:

The dogs were in this all along. Obama was just a puppet.

• Jasonn says:

I wouldn’t even sign my dog up for Obamacare.

• Jim Wolfson says:

Wait until the dog doesn’t pay the premium, the IRS will send a SWAT team to break down his doghouse door.

Then, Obama will serve the dog for dinner, as is his past practice.

• PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) says dogs are people too. I have my pet gold fish “Fuzzy” enrolled. Fuzzy has the sniffles and a cough. I might have to take Fuzzy to the Doc under ObamaTax.

• Obamacare allows for anyone in the world, or anyTHING in the world, to sign up for “health care insurance”. It is utterly insane how Obama and his dregs continue to stand behind this obvious and intentional disaster. When did sanity and insanity switch places? Oh right, Jan 2009.

• gah says:

Now the man will be notified that he has to come in and get neutered.

• O1CU812 says:

14 year old dog? DEATH PANEL CANDIDATE!
    I’d keep him OFF the plan!

• Bill-in-AZ says:

His dog will also be registered to Vote in the 2014 elections.

• Test says:

Obamacare, doing to healthcare what Wall Street did to mortgages.
    Thanks guys.

• erick says:

That same dog “voted ” for obama last election – that’s why he gets coverage.

No voter id. required- illegals, dead people, animals, the dems. want your vote and will reward you if they get it.

Coverage for ALL UNINSURED!

• Joey Ragoni says:

Delighted with Obamacare, but don’t know who to thank?

Mary Landrieu, Louisiana
    Kay Hagan, North Carolina
    Jeff Merkley, Oregon
    Jack Reed, Rhode Island
    Mark Warner, Virginia

2014

• Yarply Twelve says:

People that sign up are thumbing their noses at all who are not signing up. As a nation the people are saying NO!, except for these few who are fighting against us.

• RDTimmermanJr says:

I am not sure MsMeriwether the Cat even will want to sign up. because she is pretty antisocialistic and having been spayed, doesn’t want to pay all the extra $ for maternity or abortion coverage.

• steven says:

when he went down the checklist, he chose this plan: doggie style…

• When you mix legal weed in CO with Obamacare you never know WHAT you will get.

• Edward Boothe says:

The Republican Party of today, is the Democrat party of 50 years ago. The Democrat party is now the party of Nikita Khrushchev, who said in 1953 that he would make this a Communist Nation without firing a shot.
    My mother and father were both devout Democrats, and on April 20,1960, my father introduced John Kennedy to an audience when he campaigned for president in our city.

The party of John F. Kennedy is not the party of Barrack Hussein Obama, Eirc Holder, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. As a matter of fact I voted for John Kennedy myself. It was my first vote. You had to be 21 then.

I would like to believe that my mother and father would have changed parties if they were still alive today. My father told me twice, shortly before he died, that he was having second thoughts about the Democrat Party, and that was long before anyone had heard of Barrack Hussein Obama, who was still in training by David Axelrod, and others, who believed in redistribution of wealth to those too lazy to get an education, or too lazy to work. I would like to ask any Democrat who believes in truth, freedom and democracy to consider if they want to stay in a party of lies, deceit, corruption and Socialism/Communism, from the top down.

If you do not want to vote for a Republican, start your own party, or just don’t vote, but please do not hand this great nation over to the Communists on a silver platter, and fulfill Nikita Khrushchev’s prediction, “We will bury you”. They have already murdered 85 to 100 million people in this world.

• Jake Kissick says:

The Obamacare website is only 50 to 60% complete and has security hole in it like swiss cheese as was uncovered today in Congressional hearings. The Colorado healthcare system at some point ties into the Federal Obamacare system and then your personal information is exposed to hackers….

The new phrase of the day for applying for Obamacare is “Enter at Your Own Risk”

• Sabo says:

Fluffy needs to call President Obama and thank him
    For the free health care.
    It sounds as though veterinary care is covered with
    Obamacare.
    This whole law is an unmitigated disaster.

• beeny says:

Obamacare is appropriate for the dog

• wesguestbook says:

Someone has to protect dinner.

• SlothB77 says:

Sure they insured your dog, but don’t worry. They will get all the other stuff right.

• GenePH says:

The dog must have had a social security number.

• ObamaGlitch says:

Your dog is also now a registered Democrat. Don’t bother taking him to the poll, though. His vote will be taken care of.

• guillermo del burro says:

Of course they need the names and addresses of all the dogs in the country, obama will need to eat once his meal ticket is up in 2016!

• Arnie says:

Obamacare will cost your life, money, ID theft and best of all will ruin your life one payment at a time into perpetuity.

• olddog3006 says:

My dog already has VIP pet insurance, he likes it, I hope he can keep it!

• pug mom says:

Under ACA, infants get dental and vision services . My pug thinks she’s a thinks she’s a little girl a/o/t a dog and acts like an infant when she doesn’t get her way. I think I’ll see if I can get her teeth cleaned under ACA, after all, she’s my baby (and smarter than most people’s public school educated kids these days). ;-) ;-)

• xminusone says:

How many Veterinarians are listed on the Obamacare roster of approved medical practitioners? Is spaying and neutering a required benefit on all new health plans? Can you be treated for Distemper and Rabies under Obamacare? I wonder how many pets voted for Obama?

• SusanLaurelG says:

It reminds me of stories of a 4-year-old being called to jury duty. Tell me about it when every dog in the country gets health insurance for people. Do you really think dogs are going to be sitting in the waiting room chairs at a medical office? It is kind of unusual and funny but is an easily correctable problem. The people who were covered under plans which did not meet the basic requirements of the ACA may not have been able to afford to see a doctor. There likely was a very large deductible before services were allowed. The ACA has co-pays for office visits and prescription drugs and these co-pays are separate from a large deductible. The republican party during President Lincoln’s administration is nothing like the republican party of today.

• Pouncekitty says:

This is the ABSOLUTE FACE of liberalism. Government control of everything but ZERO competence to govern or administer their ideas. His dog! His dog! THAT is the result of Liberal governance. Clueless, feckless, incompetent, but, oh, they “mean well….”

• Centurian says:

Is doggie vasectomy covered for male dogs? Is doggie spaying covered for all the b-i-t-c-h-e-s?

• ConsrvativeVoice says:

Oh man… you can’t make this stuff up…

• ConsrvativeVoice says:

I guess THIS is what $400 Million taxpayer dollars gets you, When a government bureaucracy is involved…

Umm… I heard Facebook was launched fro under a MILLION?

• Wow, and these are the same people who want to control guns … good luck Colorado…LOL

• Benny says:

OBAMAGEDDON has arrived. All hail the Tyrant and his Regime.

• And oddly enough the dog was signed up as a Democratic voter shortly after!

• Leeza Lee says:

Oh, tee hee, just a silly little boo boo and fixed in a jiffy! Nothing to look at here, folks. Move along.

• Leeza Lee says:

Folks, you simply must scroll up and read SusanLaurelG’s post. THIS is an Obamatron. Either that or she’s a paid troll. One thing is obvious, she either gets her insurance for free or she hasn’t signed up yet.

Susan, BUY a clue, ok? Obamacare is unaffordable to those of us who are being forced to pay for it. The quote for my premium is more than my mortgage payment. My deductible is $7,000. I currently spend $1,800 in cash a year for medical visits. Under Obamacare I’d be paying almost $1,000 a month and then NEVER get reimbursed for any medical visits. And copays? How gullible can ANYONE be?

So, tell us again how groovy this garbage is?

• Scruffy says:

Well it’s no surprise, since the leftists want voters to marry their dogs and beastality will be the new “g a y” in 2014.

• SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Well duh, obviously registered Demonrats get priority.

• ph3v3r says:

Judging by some of the comments in here, when Jay Leno leaves The Tonight Show more than a few of you guys should put in for jobs with the new Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, because Lord knows Jimmy can use the help!

• Shane Smith, I have a suggestion for you. Change your security answer NOW! Too many people now know you use your dog’s name for verification. How many other places have you used the same. Change it.

• JM in San Diego CA says:

Does the ObamaCare cover deworming, neutering and a chip?

• O J Summey says:

And this is the government that will be handling your healthcare.
    That’s a lot of red pills.

• JediJones says:

Obamacare screwed the pooch once again.

• Big Bear says:

I’ll try signing up my cat. That should get me covered!

• JediJones says:

Spaying and neutering is covered. Planned Puppyhood will even come to your home and drown any unwanted newborn pups for free.

• Baxter the Glitch Dog says:

Thanks to my new taxpayer-subsidized doggie care, I’ll be voting for Nancy LePoodle, Hairy Retriever, Mark Beagle, Max Barkers, Cory Bulldog, Mary Shih Tzu, Dick Dobermann, Jay Rottweiler, Barbara Boxer, Hillary Chihuahua, Joe Bitin’ and Barack O-bow-wow in 2014! This dog digs donkeys! Woof woof! And I mean woof!

• Just Some Dude says:

Wonder if the dog can stay on his plan until he’s 26?

• Alex says:

I believe this is an insult to all americans and should stop now.

• Grandma of Four says:

A M U S I N G and A L A R M I N G!!! Frankly, I am surprised that a PROTEST MARCH on Washington has not been organized!!! There is nothing quite like the VISUAL of huge crowds on The Mall in anger over one situation or another.

I do not understand how much worse it has to get BEFORE someone…anyone…in the HOUSE starts a REPEAL OBAMACARE Bill. The ENTIRE WORLD KNOWS WHAT A MESS THIS IS. It is no secret…although ever day brings out more and more of the secrets known by “O”BLAME”R” and his cohorts. Even Dems know what a catastrophic disaster this law is!!!

• george says:

welcome to the jew world order

• Charlotte says:

The dog was also registered as a Democrat and was added as “employed” in the current tally.

• Angrydogmom says:

That dog could be covered! We have to pass it before we know what’s in it!

• Just Me says:

Really don’t know who figured out the premiums/deductibles, co-pays, etc. but didn’t they ever hear the cliche “you can’t get blood out of a turnip.”

The working class is already stretched too thin, many people will just go without, period.

Some will take their chances rather than be held hostage to unaffordable insurance/bankruptcy and/or losing their entire life savings in order to have medical insurance.

Been thinking about this:

What’s the difference in the end? Lose everything to pay for health insurance or lose everything because you didn’t have health insurance?

• Stu Cozza says:

According to a statement made recently by Nasty Pelosi, if I get sick, I could lose everything. Maybe the Colorado Criminals figured that if animals got sick they would lose their toys. My cats need Obamacare so that, in the event they get hairballs, they do not go bankrupt.

• Bumper Press says:

Signing up that dog was the only thing that the Obama Care website got right!

• Simon says:

Healthcare for our pets is a right, correct?

• lulu says:

I can see a future where someone laments ” I went to the hospital under Obamacare to have my appendix removed, but
    ended up being neutered instead!”

• FaithFullMom says:

How does giving the answers to your security questions to live person make you secure. That person can use or sell you information. The amount of identity theft that is going to occur from this is going to make the roll out look like small potatoes.

• Constantine says:

My cat Max needs coverage. We were married last year, and he is really the cat’s meow.

• rc0213 says:

Isn’t this how Obama won last election, got dogs and cats to vote? LOL

• Tom Menino says:

I am surprised this man’s Yorkie got coverage. Obama hates Yorkies. He prefers Retrievers. More white meat and serves the whole family.

• ThisObamaNation says:

WND Exclusive

U.S. general: Let’s make Obama resign

Cites Nixon resignation, urges citizens ‘to save republic’ from Washington leadership

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/general-lets-make-obama-resign/#oQFhPfG0Dv5rEp8J.99

• steven says:

guess my d-o-g-g-y s-t-y-l-e health insurance joke was neutered by the Internet n*zis

• Soma187 says:

Hopefully they keep Baxter as far away as possible from President Obama. I hear he likes eating dogs. And Snake.. tough.

• The dog still has a $10,000 deductible. Obamacare (great for illegals and dogs, bad for white people), yet another violation of our rights. The gov’t constantly violates our rights.

They violate the 1st Amendment by caging protesters and banning books like “America Deceived II”.

They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by allowing TSA to grope you.

They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars.

Impeach Obama.

Last link of “America Deceived II” before it is completely banned:

amazon com/America-Deceived-II-Possession-interrogation/dp/1450257437

• robert duh obozobot says:

Robert,
    It would appear you are the “fool that slipped though.” He gave them his dogs name as a “SECURITY” layer for when he has to go back and straighten up the messes the obozobots, such as yourself, make. Did you even watch the video you moronatron?

Obamacare Security!!! Now that is an Oxymoron!!!

If only we could “stupid-proof” democRATS such as robert. If only.

• mayhem4u says:

It’s very simple…….Mr. Smith’s Yorkie is a close personal friend of the Obama’s Portuguese Water Dog, Bo!!

• ColoradoCitizen says:

@walter in Montana that indicated the people in “Colorado” could keep their Obama. He is not my Obama, my families Obama or many other people. Sadly there were people in Montana that voted for him as well. The first term people voted on what he said… when he didn’t do what he said and people voted for him again. That is a problem.

• Erik Swenson says:

Well Dog gonnit! At least that dog is covered!

• M@rtin60 says:

The next voter target will be dogs since they captured the gays and lesbians.vote.

• Bill says:

I have successfully hacked the healthcare website. I stole Baxter’s information and identity and registered my own dog under his plan. This is great! Thanks Baxter.

• Roger Miller says:

The man should be arrested and fined for being a jerk with the things that people need. Evidently, he is a Republican stooge.

• fast45 says:

Better not tell the cops … they will come over and shoot his dog!

• smartenough says:

Leave it to FOX to blame Obamacare for a local error and a village idiot! Quite a stretch FOX, we see thru the bullish@t.

• andsalonia says:

I see that of these comments are jokes about OBAMACARE. Well one thing that you can say is that the PLAN is more than what the Repubicans offered (:-)) (:-)) :-)) …which is a BONE.

• Potato Head says:

In reply to the Gentleman from Montana who cannot seem to fathom why so many people in Colorado are the way they are: many of them came from California.

• Usually all the other MB I had would beep if the video card was missing
    parajumpers bergen http://www.ellebasic.no/parajumper.html/

• My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I might check things out.

I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to checking out your web page yet again.