1. Obama apologizes for insurance cancellations due to Affordable Care Act
A day after a FOX31 Denver broke a story about 250,000 Coloradans losing their health care plans due to the Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama apologized to Americans facing similar issues despite a promise he made about all Americans being able to hang on to their preferred coverage plans.
2. Typhoon Haiyan, perhaps strongest ever, plows across Philippines
Super Typhoon Haiyan — perhaps the strongest storm ever — plowed Friday across the central Philippines, leaving widespread devastation in its wake.
3. Car goes up in flames outside city offices, suspect explains why on video
A woman accused of driving the car that ended up on fire in front of the Wellington E. Webb Municipal Building on Thursday, was caught on video babbling about her alleged actions. She was arrested a short time later.
4. JeffCo Schools superintendent to retire at end of school year
Jefferson County Schools Superintendent Cindy Stevenson received a standing ovation at the school board meeting Thursday, after announcing she will retire at the end of the school year. “My heart is a little broken,” Stevenson told reporters.
5. Fort Collins community rallies for baby who needs life-saving liver transplant
Riley Harness has been in the intensive care unit for two months. His dad says he never exhibited any symptoms, until the day he vomited blood and a medical chopper brought him to Children’s Hospital. Now all they can do is wait for an organ. Thankfully, a lot of folks are in their corner.
6. Gay man upset about Colorado College’s ‘queer’ application question
A gay man applying for a position at Colorado College was infuriated by an optional question that gives applicants the option to define themselves as “queer.” But it turns out the majority of the Colorado Springs gay community, especially its younger members, appear to disagree with this man’s opinion.
7. Denver considers new parking rules for downtown area neighborhoods
Capitol Hill residents got a chance to air their views Thursday on a new parking proposal that could limit the number of permits issued in densely populated city neighborhoods in the future.
8. FOX31 Exclusive: A behind the scenes look at the future of marijuana
At the 2nd annual National Marijuana Business Expo in Seattle, groups from across the country are pulling together ideas and products that could mean millions of dollars in new business to the marijuana industry. Our cameras have been at that expo.
9. Trader Joe’s announces Denver opening date
Fans of Trader Joe’s will be feeling the love this Valentine’s Day, as the grocery chain opens three new stores in the Denver area on Feb. 14, 2014.
10. You’re not imagining it: Airline seats are getting smaller
Yes, airline seats are getting smaller. But part of the problem here could be that while airline seats have been slimming down, humans have been bulking up, with global obseity having doubled since 1980.