Warning: Video shows Colo. murder suspect Evan Ebel shoot deputy
DENVER — Two months after a former Colorado inmate killed two men and lead police on a nationwide manhunt, a sheriffs office in Texas is releasing new images of an attack between the suspect and police.
The video clip above is graphic.I
On Wednesday, the Montague County Sheriffs Office released dashboard camera video that shows a 27-year-old deputy get shot by Ebel on the side of a Texas road. The deputy, who survived, told several reporters in March that he pulled Ebel over after a gut instinct told him the vehicle appeared suspicious.
“I can remember looking at the car and thinking something’s just not right,” says Deputy James Boyd about his encounter with Ebel. “I remember seeing the gun and that’s it.”
The video shows the officer get shot three times, twice in the bulletproof vest and once in the head, before being left by himself on the side of a highway. An off-duty officer happened to drive by and notice something was wrong and called for help.
Ebel would eventually die after a dramatic chase and shootout with police outside of Dallas. The deputy’s injuries were not life threatening.
Ebel was accused of murdering Colorado Corrections Department Director Tom Clements at his home in Monument in March and pizza delivery driver Nathan Leon in Denver two days before that.
An error led to Ebel getting released from prison on parole before he was supposed to be released.
- Driver of car that slammed into Larimer County school bus identified
- Delta flight, passengers isolated in remote area at DIA following security threat
- 38 million gallon Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates in reservoir
- Police: Teen tried to 'blow a fireball' at Smoky Hill HS
- Documents detail how dispatchers handled call that ended in mother's murder