Police: Staff worker accidentally shoots student outside Rangeview H.S.
Rangeview High School, Aurora, Colo. May 13, 2013
AURORA, Colo. — A student underwent surgery Monday night after an accidental shooting in the staff parking lot outside Rangeview High School.
Police spokesman Ofc. Frank Fania says a staff worker at the school accidentally shot the student in the leg in the staff worker’s car. The student was getting a ride home.
The gun accidentally fired while the shooter was putting it away in the glove box of his vehicle.
Fania says the staff worker has a second job as an armed security officer, so it’s legal for him to have the gun. He is not a teacher at the school and his job as a security guard is not associated with Aurora Public Schools.
The worker drove the victim to Aurora Medical Center South for treatment. The victim is expected to recover.
Police do not plan to file any charges against the shooter, since it was legal for him to have the gun.
Fania says it will be up to the school district to decide whether he violated any school rules.
- Driver of car that slammed into Larimer County school bus identified
- Delta flight, passengers isolated in remote area at DIA following security threat
- 38 million gallon Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates in reservoir
- Police: Teen tried to 'blow a fireball' at Smoky Hill HS
- Documents detail how dispatchers handled call that ended in mother's murder