2 Fort Carson soldiers die in vehicle crash in Kuwait
DENVER — Two soldiers assigned to Fort Carson were died in a vehicle crash where the two were assigned in Kuwait.
The Department of Defense said Spc. Trinidad Santiago Jr., 25, of San Diego, and Pfc. Charles P. McClure, 21, of Stratford, Okla., died in the crash on May 2.
Both were cannoneers with the brigade’s 4th Battalion of the 42nd Field Artillery Regiment, according to Fort Carson records. Their tour was expected to last nine-months.
Details about the crash have not been released, but a DOD spokesman said it happened at Camp Buehring in Kuwait where both were deployed as part of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Santiago had been in the Army since 2009 and served in Afghanistan from 2010 to 2011.
McClure joined the Army in 2011. This was his first tour abroad.
According to the Colorado Springs Gazette the brigade was sent to Kuwait to conduct massive training exercises.