Tim Tebow released after tumultuous season in New York
NEW YORK — It appears the Tim Tebow era is over in New York. It also appears the quarterback’s tenure in the NFL may be drawing to an end if he is not willing to change positions.
The New York Post was the first to report the Jets’ move to cut Tebow Monday morning. The decision comes after the Jets drafted quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of the NFL draft on Friday. At that time, the Jets had five quarterbacks on their roster.
“We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow,” Jets head coach Rex Ryan told ESPN’s Adam Schefter after confirming Tebow had been cut. “Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped.”
Schefter went on to report that the Jets had granted Tebow permission to seek a trade this offseason. More than one team expressed interested, according to Schefter, on the condition that Tebow was willing to play tight end. Schefter said Tebow indicated he was not interested in making such a position change.
A year ago, when the Denver Broncos made the decision to dump Tebow after acquiring Peyton Manning, the Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars were the only teams to express interest. Since then, Jacksonville’s ownership has made it clear they are no longer interested in Tebow — at least not if he’s interested in playing quarterback.
Tebow’s one-year tenure with the Jets was a tumultuous one. After leading the Broncos to a playoff win — in addition to throwing for 1,729 yards and 12 touchdowns and rushing for 660 yards and six touchdowns — in 2011, he was passed over in favor of Jets third-string quarterback Greg McElroy when starter Mark Sanchez was benched late in the 2012 season.
Tebow attempted eight passes in his 12 games for the Jets in 2012. He rushed for 102 yards and averaged 3.2 yards per carry for the team, which finished with a 6-10 record.