Wedding nightmare: Facility shuts down, thousands in deposits lost
AURORA, Colo. — At least a dozen brides are left without an altar after an Aurora banquet hall shut down without explanation while not returning thousands of dollars in security deposits.
“I honestly don’t even know where to start anymore,” said Aimee Vasquez, a Denver bride furious to learn she’s been left without a place to hold a wedding reception.
The original plan, according to contracts released by Vasquez, was for her wedding to be held at the Excalibur Event Center in August.
On Monday, the bride to be learned by accident that the venue had been shut down and that her $1,500 deposit would not be returned any time soon.
“It was going to be perfect, now it’s not going to happen…at least not there,” added Vasquez from her home on Wednesday.
FOX31 Denver has learned the venue’s manager, David Mendez, is no longer operating the facility and is unable to return security deposits because of financial problems.
“I don’t know what to do right now because I’m broke, I’m totally broke. I wasn’t expecting this problem but its out of my hands,” said Mendez during a phone interview with FOX31 Denver.
Another venue, unrelated to the Excalibur, is expected to offer Vasquez their facility. However, the bride-to-be is worried that with little time and cash, she won’t be able to find the perfect venue in time.