DENVER — The Colorado Department of Transportation reported numerous road closures Saturday morning because of heavy snow falling across the state.
Colorado State Patrol responded to several traffic accidents in the foothills, throughout the metro area and the eastern plains.
A severe accident was reported along northbound I-25 at Johnson’s Corner at approximately 8:24 a.m. The crash caused a semi to catch fire at mile marker 253.
According to CSP trooper Josh Lewis, an estimated 20 to 50 cars, including at least four tractor trailers had crashed or gone off of the road during the accident.
Several people were taken to the hospital with unknown injuries. No fatalities have been reported.
Lewis said that snowy weather and poor driving conditions are being considered as main factors in the crashes.
Northbound traffic on I-25 at Johnson’s Corner was closed for another 5 to 7 hours for the remainder of the investigation.
Loveland’s Jacob Griego took a video of the accident, which can be seen below:
According to CSP, it was one of multiple accidents reported in the same area along I-25, where cars were sliding off the road because of icy conditions.
CDOT is advising travelers to avoid the eastern plains along I-25 north.
CDOT has provided an updated list of road closures:
- I-70 between Airpark and Kansas
- SH 71 between Limon and Ordway
- US 36 between Byers and Kansas
- SH 86 between Kiowa and Limon
- US 385 between Sheridan Lake and Wray
- SH 61 between Otis and Sterling
- SH 63 between Anton and I-76
- US 24 between Calhan and Limon
- US 287/US 40 between Eads and Limon
- SH 94 between Colorado Springs and US 40
- SH 10 between I-25 (Walsenburg) and La Junta
- US 50 between Pueblo and Rocky Ford
- SH 96 between Sugar City and Kansas