Police: attempted car break-in turns into standoff in north Denver
Firefighters respond to standoff at 28th and Larimer in Denver. Feb. 22, 2013
DENVER — The police SWAT team was involved in a standoff with a barricaded suspect late Friday night in north Denver
The incident started at about 8 p.m. at 28th Ave. and Larimer St. when the man reportedly tried to break into someone’s vehicle according to police spokeswoman Raquel Lopez.
Police were called and arriving officers saw the suspect. They tried to stop him but he ran into a nearby home.
The homeowner ran out to safety.
Denver firefighters responded to the scene because police reported seeing light smoke come from the house.
The suspect gave up and officers took him into custody before 10:30 p.m. according to a Twitter post from the Denver Police Dept.
Firefighters planned to go inside to check the home once police determined it was safe to do so.
- Colorado policymakers fire back at Gov. Christie over pot comments
- N.J. Gov. Christie on Colorado legalizing pot: 'Not the quality of life we want'
- Mom bites off dog’s ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Woman says 3 dogs busted into her house, attacked her and 2 pets
- Indian doctors strike gold while performing surgery on man