Family awarded $63M after daughter’s poisonous reaction to ibuprofen
BOSTON, MA – A Massachusetts jury ruled Wednesday that Johnson & Johnson will have to award $63 million to a Massachusetts family.
According to the Clarion Ledger, Samantha Reckis and her parents were awarded the money after she suffered from toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Reckis took a children’s Motrin brand ibuprofen when she was 7-years-old. The pill caused a poisonous reaction.
Reckis’ reactions to the pain reliever included losing 90 percent of her skin and going blind. She had been diagnosed with the rare side effect nearly ten years ago. Samantha Reckis is a teenager now, and an honor student.
She suffered short-term memory loss from brain damage and her respiratory system was also affected by the necrolysis.
The trial spanned five weeks. The jury awarded $50 million to Samantha and $6.5 million to each of her parents.
Faces of Meth
People of Walmart
Awkward family photos
- Denver Police: At least 3 stabbed at Mile High after Broncos game
- Man tricked into thinking he had been in 10-year coma
- Thornton High School threat not legitimate, investigators say
- Teen kills 4 in DUI wreck, gets probation using 'rich kid' defense
- Sandy Hook victim’s mother shares emotional message: 'Evil did not win'