Teen who flipped off judge apologizes
DENVER — A Florida teenager who flipped off a judge in court has been released after she made a tearful apology.
WGHP reported that 18-year-old Penelope Soto’s antics on Monday went viral online. But the insult also resulted in the judge doubling her $5,000 bail on a drug possession charge and giving her 30 days in jail for contempt of court.
The woman was back in a Miami-Dade court on Friday and much more humble in front of the same judge.
“My behavior was very irrational,” Soto said, according to KGO. “And I apologize not only to the court and you, but also to my family.”
Soto said she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol when she made the obscene gesture and rude comments.
The judge dropped the contempt charge and released her from jail after her apology. Soto’s lawyer said she will complete a court ordered drug treatment program to address her charges of possessing Xanax.
- Man tricked into thinking he had been in 10-year coma
- Denver Police: At least 3 stabbed at Mile High after Broncos game
- Thornton High School threat not legitimate, investigators say
- Teen kills 4 in DUI wreck, gets probation using 'rich kid' defense
- Sandy Hook victim’s mother shares emotional message: 'Evil did not win'