Police, bystander rescue elderly woman from house fire
DENVER – Boulder police and one bystander narrowly rescued an elderly woman from her burning home Saturday night, the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office reported in a media release.
Neighbors called police around 11:30 p.m. after hearing an explosion at 5479 Jay Road, just outside Boulder. Deputy Jeff George was first on the scene, discovering the home on fire. Neighbor John Walpole advised him that Marvyl Holder, 83, lived there alone.
George and Walpole forced their way inside to find Holder lying on the floor of her first floor bedroom, police said. They carried her outside and, with last-minute assistance from other responders, escaped the area just before a second explosion tore through the house.
Holder and George were treated for smoke inhalation and are expected to recover. Firefighters from multiple agencies managed to extinguish the fire, but the structure is thought to be a total loss.
A fire investigation team was headed to the scene Sunday morning, but initial reports seem to indicate that a gas leak caused the fire, the sheriff’s office said.
George is the deputy under investigation in the controversial killing and removal of an elk on New Year’s Day, the Boulder Daily Camera reported. Unlike two other law officers, he has not been suspended or charged in that incident.